Electrician Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently work for a security install company. There are 2 techs, the secretary and the owner.
No one in the company is Nicet certified. I'm an apprentice electrician, my partner has 20 yrs security experience and has worked on hundereds of fire systems, the owner has never pulled a cable or touched a tool. No one holds any sort of Nicet cert.
Can we install fire systems? Install strobes, horns, smoke or heat sensors on existing systems? trace, tone or trouble shoot issues on fire systems? can we test flow valves or any fire sensors that have to do with fire safety systems?
We are being asked to...
Can any of you point me to a document that says yes we can or no we can't here in Michigan?
Thank You

·
Registered
19 Posts
don't hold me to this but I do not believe so. It looks like it is similar to what we have here is mass. Except Michigan allows a level II nicet to qualify you for a low voltage/ fire alarm license.

Here is what i found:
338.883i Specialty licenses not required.
Sec. 3i. A person holding a valid electrical contractor's license, master electrician's license, electrical
journeyman's license, or apprentice electrician's registration shall not be required to hold any specialty
licenses in order to perform specialty installations.

Thats is direct from the states website. I would however look into getting your Nicet while you are still an apprentice. That is how I did it. I started working for an electric contractor that did fire alarm and I got my Nicet level II before I got my journeyman. It can be a great tool for getting another job in the fire alarm field if that is what you are pursuing.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
In NJ you would need an electrical contractors license or a low voltage/burglar Licence to do what you describe. On a commercial job that has specifications you would see language of NICET. It is usually that the system has to be designed by someone with a NICET cert and submitted to the A&E. Maybe programming and the NFPA 72 close out documents.

Normally we work with a fire alarm vendor that does that work for us. We install the system to their design, they program and possibly monitor the system.

I have been bouncing in and out of a job like that now. This one has been going by the A&E's drawings and I think GE is the vendor. Six guy's have been there steady for four months, all conduit and class A (return loop). It will probably go into the summer. No one has a NICET.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts