Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello gents,

I've never worked in the electrical industry in the field and I am in a new position as a sales representative for Graybar electric supply. So what I ask of you all is to list some nicknames (i.e. batwings) for common material you buy along with the actual name of said material. However, if you don't know the actual name that's fine, I will look it up myself. I'll take anything ya got.

·
Premium Member
Pres., GPS Timers
6,220 Posts
This will be a fun thread. I think we should tell you the trade slang and you tell us the manufacturer's name for the product.

Example: Meter Can is the phrase used here and up north they call it Meter Pan.
What does a manufactruer of Meter Cans & Meter Pans call them?
How many manufacturers of them can you name?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will be a fun thread. I think we should tell you the trade slang and you tell us the manufacturer's name for the product.

What I'm getting is Meter Socket haha

·
Elderly Member
549 Posts

Meter socket here too.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
i ask for a 150w hps bulb.

Do you need to know.

1/ the voltage
2/ the mogul size
3/ the color temp

i ask for a ballast kit for the same light.

do you need

1/ the voltage
2/ the mogul size
3/ the color temp

·
Conservitum Americum
8,766 Posts
male enlarger

merry widow

mouse trap

mulberry plate

·
Premium Member
20,984 Posts
I think one of the electrical supply houses took over the old www.tradeslang.com electrical slang website. I liked that website 20 years ago, but the last few years of it really being active it was getting downright unuseful because people (I believe) were just making silly names up and submitting them because "some guy" used it, and it was not really trade slang in common use. I think a better trade slang site would have an up/down vote feature for each electrical item to show how popular or unpopular a particular slang name is for each electrical item.

·
The Accidental Welder
1,174 Posts
An explosionproof flexible coupling...

...tradename horsecock

·
Elderly Member
549 Posts
Hello gents,

I've never worked in the electrical industry in the field and I am in a new position as a sales representative for Graybar electric supply. So what I ask of you all is to list some nicknames (i.e. batwings) for common material you buy along with the actual name of said material. However, if you don't know the actual name that's fine, I will look it up myself. I'll take anything ya got.

HEY MAN....
You started this thread! It is up to you now to do your research and answer some of our questions... in this thread! We will be grading you as you go.

If you are totally lost, get up from you desk, go to the counter and quiz some of your old crusty electrician customers.

By-the-way, I forgot to add "CHASE NIPPLE" to the quiz I sent you. Don't let dirty thoughts confuse your young mind... these are in fact long-standing electrical terms.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts