Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working in the electrical field for like 4 years now. I really like working in electrical and I want to keep getting better..I worked with an EC on the books for like a yr and a half. Now I work with another EC getting cash.. My question is if I stay with the EC im with now off the books. Would this harm any future plans if I wanted to get my electrical license and go solo. I also heard that your boss can write a letter of recommendation for licensing or is that bull****??. If anybody has some input ob this I would really appreciate it...thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thats for the feedback..if you ask your boss to sign for you. Can he deny you or feel like your competition toward you getting your license.
I have heard of this before quite a number of times being claimed. One of the bigger issues for some is getting credit for your time, when a company went belly up and no one is accessible for signing or documenting your time there.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Cash is nice and I totally get that from your point of view, but I'd suggest getting on the books as soon as possible because millions of lazy slobs depend on you to support them. Also, you'll need the official time to sit in for the exam.

·
Registered
988 Posts
They really don't have a choice to sign the letter. It's not a recommendation letter, its a letter certifying your expeirence and its all bs anyway because they will want what you did written in your own words as detailed as possible. If they refuse to sign just tell the board that they are refusing. If a contractor isn't around anymore you will probably have to show more evidence, w2's, social security statement, etc... I don't think getting a journeymen card will help "preserve" your time. You will still have to show your 5 years worth of time to the board.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.