Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a generator installation in Norwood NJ, Do most other contractors here file for Electrical and Plumbing inspections under separate licenses? or file for both under our Electrical License / HIC License? I just spoke to the town inspector and he said that I am not allowed to file for a plumbing inspection because I not a plumber but home owner can file for a permit and they can do the plumbing themselves:blink:? Can someone enlighten me please.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I have a generator installation in Norwood NJ, Do most other contractors here file for Electrical and Plumbing inspections under separate licenses? or file for both under our Electrical License / HIC License? I just spoke to the town inspector and he said that I am not allowed to file for a plumbing inspection because I not a plumber but home owner can file for a permit and they can do the plumbing themselves:blink:? Can someone enlighten me please.
Here it must be separate permits,Home owners cannot do their own plumbing,But,If they want to do the electrical they can pull a permit for that and create a fire that will blow up the gas piping that a plumber must install:blink:

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You don't need to have a plumbing license in NJ to install gas pipe. Go tell the inspector to figure out his job.
Thats what i was trying to explain the inspector and he did not wanted to hear it, verbatim "You are a licensed Electrical contractor not a plumber, You want to file a permit for a gas line to your generator then hire a licensed plumber":censored:

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
Thats what i was trying to explain the inspector and he did not wanted to hear it, verbatim "You are a licensed Electrical contractor not a plumber, You want to file a permit for a gas line to your generator then hire a licensed plumber":censored:
Time to talk to the state. Your electrical license does not limit you in any way.

·
Small Potatoes
5,457 Posts
You don't need to have a plumbing license in NJ to install gas pipe. Go tell the inspector to figure out his job.
I don't think so Hack. If your right I've pissed away thousands on subbing it out to a licensed plumber.

BTW, welcome back.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
I don't think so Hack. If your right I've pissed away thousands on subbing it out to a licensed plumber.

BTW, welcome back.
h

No you dont... I do a lot of the work myself but I let my plumber do the tie in....many times its almost easier for me to just do it while im runing my own conduit.
A lot of the guys I deal with want at least 1500 and up... and thats for easy ones.. I feel like its pretty staright forward. I know how to thread pipe and not having to bend it makes it all the more easier.
I would do the tie in but with my luck a thermocouple would go bad or a water heater would crap out and it would become an awkward situation. Id have to start carrying plumbing stuff.... not worth it.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
If I was going to go back to doing full generator installations (instead of just the electric like I do now) I would look into that black coated CSST flexible gas tubing that can be buried.

·
Registered
884 Posts
In single family homes you need to be a licensed master plumber or a home owner to get a plumbing permit for gas work.

The inspector will want to see a pressure test on the line....I usually put a valve where I tap off the gas so I don't have to pressure test the whole house... 6 psi test over nite. when I connect I used soap to check the final connection

·
Small Potatoes
5,457 Posts
Wow, what a screw up on my part. I've been doing gensets in Jersey subbing the gas piping out. Duh! :(

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Every town in NJ is a little different so check with them for their requirements.

Most will require an electrical, plumbing, fire, and zoning permit, along with a cover sheet.

You will also need a copy of the homeowners land survey to get the zoning permit in order.

The approval process will take anywhere from 3 days to 3 months depending on there municipality and their willingness to work.

In short, the permit process takes longer than the actual work of setting up a standby generator.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I usually do all the work and worry about permits later. A few years back the mayor of the town I live in was arrested by the FBI for taking bribes from developers. Whenever I'm in the building dept. I like to ask if I can expedite the process with a little extra payment.:laughing: They don't think it's funny.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts