Electrician Talk banner

NM-B 4-conductor cable

12K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  frenchelectrican 
#1 · (Edited)
A question to all you electricians doing residental work in accord with
the 2008 NEC edition.

Have any of you switch to using 12-4/ground
(Thats one red, one black, one white with black strip and one white
red strip). Do to all the new locations AFCI are now require.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

#5 ·
Keep in mind there's two flavors of 4-conductor NM out there.

1x-2-2 and 1x-4. They are not the same.

1x-2-2 is used for dual home runs. It has a black, white, red, and white with a tracer. Great for AFCI circuits.

1x-4 is used for bath fan switching & such. It has a black, red, blue, and white.

#8 ·
I like to run a 14/2/2 to a deep box in the hallway and use it for (2) bedroom circuits.

Run another 14/2/2 to bathroom switch.. use (1) circuit for bedroom and other for bathroom/kitchen lighting,

You don't save money on materials, but save on labor of drilling, pulling HR, and tying in panel

#10 ·
NM-B cable

480; are you saying there is a NM-B cable with color's: black, red, blue & white. If this true, is some type of cable that you might used wirh 3-phase wiring, where code approve. And this other cable with black, red,
and two white with tracers, might be something the MGF. and just put
on the market, to help the trade with the AFCI circuits.
(note: just thinking outside the box)

quote: "the more I know the less I know"

#12 ·
480; are you saying there is a NM-B cable with color's: black, red, blue & white. If this true, is some type of cable that you might used wirh 3-phase wiring, where code approve. And this other cable with black, red,
and two white with tracers, might be something the MGF. and just put
on the market, to help the trade with the AFCI circuits.
(note: just thinking outside the box)

quote: "the more I know the less I know"

Yes there is 14/4 NMB or 12/4 NMB which is used for a 3 phase application. 14/2/2 or 12/2/2 is basically 2 hots with 2 neutrals and of course a ground in both cables.

There are some situations where you can rtun NM cable in a commercial application and there are some multifamily (apts) that have 3 phase service where nm would be allowed.

#14 ·
Yes, NM-B is available with black, red, blue, and white conductors, but that is special order at the supply house. It is designated by the xx-4, such as 12-4. The wire with red and black and two whites with tracers is labeled xx-2-2, for instance, 12-2-2. It was put on the market with the intention of being used for two AFCI circuits, and has been out for at least five years. I have never used it for that purpose, but have used it for odd switching arrangements.

#16 ·
I've used the 12-2-2. Good time saver for some things. Didn't know about 12-4. The last time I bought 12-2-2, I paid 86 cents/ft. Last time I bought 12-2 on 1000' reels I paid 19 cents/ft at HD. Couldn't find 12-2-2 at HD. The price difference is a lot. I don't know how they justify it. Sometimes way easier to use the 12-2-2 though.

#19 ·
Some of my electrical supply centre are starting to stock up XX-2-2W/G due we are soon approching the AFCI reqirement next year cost wise I havent check it out yet but Yeah I have a pretty good size roll of 12-4 NM on hand and couple of EC's asked me for some.

Most common used in bathroom exhaust fan/ light / nitelite or heater combo unit.

Yeah with shuttle { travelers } conductor with line / netural conductor as well it work pretty slick and much quicker to termaited it.

Merci,Marc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.