Electrician Talk banner

NM CABLE JOINTS MADE UP INSIDE WALL

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Wirenuting 
#1 ·
HOW DO YOU INTERPRET ARTICLE 334.40 (B)
I READ IT THAT IF YOU ARE USING A DEVICE APPROVED YOU ARE ALLOWED TO MAKE SPLICES IN WALLS TO REPAIR WIRING IN EXISTING BUILDINGS WHERE THE CABLE IS CONCEALED

#2 ·
Yes they can.
No it is not a good idea
No I would never do it.

Remember if it goes bad you did it.
If it starts a fire you did it, they will say you did something wrong installing it.
If it fails no one will even think it is their.

Save headaches and do it right.

Cowboy
P.S. All caps is yelling.

#3 ·
Yes they can.
No it is not a good idea
No I would never do it.

Remember if it goes bad you did it.
If it starts a fire you did it, they will say you did something wrong installing it.
If it fails no one will even think it is their.

Save headaches and do it right.

Cowboy
P.S. All caps is yelling.
I agree with you 100%...

But.....

With these new and approved in wall splice kits, isn’t it safe?
Should I stick with my tried and trusted solder pot and friction tape in junction boxes?

personally, I wouldn’t make a hidden in wall splice.

#10 ·
yes you are correct. Tyco makes them, also under NSI, they're UL listed. I was involved with 2 modular(about 36 sections) 3 floor 30 unit apartment buildings with hundreds of these (by Molex?) and it's been several years and spoke with property maintenance person and there have been zero issues. But I'd trust wire nuts or JB .

#11 ·
We just had a thread about this not long ago.

They make a product specifically for this application. It's listed. It's code approved. It works. It's readily available for purchase.

Some people may feel otherwise about it, but these are the facts.

Reactions: KitC
#13 ·
These Romex splice "in wall" splice kits, that I have seen, are like a larger RJ45 connector (ethernet). They just don't seem very robust or reliable.

I have had to cut out and replace several of these things - with real slices. Not something that I would want to use anywhere.

Just because something manages to be "approved" does not necessarily make it be a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.