Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
334.12 clarifies using NMC in garages where fuels and solvents are commonly used. Anybody ever seen NMC used in such locations? I got one where it is all over the place. The AHJ saw it and looked the other way when he was assured it was all going away.

·
Administrator
EC
22,587 Posts
I have never seen NMC and I believe you wont find it very easily. Southwire doesn't even make it.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
I have never seen NMC and I believe you wont find it very easily. Southwire doesn't even make it.
I see, you'll help a home owner with an addition of something likely to get himself killed, but forget the letter S and you get nothing.:laughing:

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
I really would like to know what NMC is, are there any pics. I googled it and nothing. Or, can someone give a good description of it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty disgusting since everybody in the trade understands NMC to be both non-metallic cable and one type of non-metallic cable. I use it as an acronym for generic, non-metallic cable such as Romex.

My code defines non-metallic-sheathed cable (Types NM and NMC) as: "A wiring methods that encloses two or more insulated conductors, 14 AWG through 2 AWG, within a non-metallic jacket."

Sounds a lot like Romex, doesn't it?

So, anybody have a real reply?

·
Fried Bologna um um good!
8,094 Posts
If the garage fits the definition of a commercial garage in 511.3 then I would say it is not legal. Here everything must be mc or in emt.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
Pretty disgusting since everybody in the trade understands NMC to be both non-metallic cable and one type of non-metallic cable. I use it as an acronym for generic, non-metallic cable such as Romex.

My code defines non-metallic-sheathed cable (Types NM and NMC) as: "A wiring methods that encloses two or more insulated conductors, 14 AWG through 2 AWG, within a non-metallic jacket."

Illegal.

·
Infiltrator
626 Posts

NMC Defenition 334.2 - Insulated conductors enclosed within an overall ,corrosion resistant, nonmetallic jacket......It is a form of "Romex" but designed for corrosive conditions. Article 547 actually details it as an option for dairies, but 334.12(a)(4) does not allow it in a commercial garage that fits the description in 511.3...this was all found in 05 as it was in arms reach..:thumbsup:

·
Ax grinder
2,053 Posts

NMC is a specific type of non-metallic sheathed cable. NMC has an overall corrosion resistant non-metallic jacket.

So to say that everyone in the trade understands the term NMC is used for standard NM cable is BS since it is specifically defined in Article 334.

Chris

·
Ax grinder
2,053 Posts
Waco said:
NM cable is not permitted in the classified locations within a repair garage. (See 501.10)

Also NM cable is not permitted to be installed exposed in other structures permitted to be of Type III, IV or V construction. (See 334.10(3))

Chris

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
NMC is essentially the same thing as type UF. Sometimes I have seen type UF cable dual rated as type NMC, although it was rare that I saw it, and a few years ago at that. :blink:

·
evil bastard
15,771 Posts

These are clearly two different cables, hence then different names

·
Registered
1 Posts

You are wrong in your assumption that NM-C is standard "Romex". The "C" indicates that it is corrosion resistant and it has to be NM-C to use in any underground chase.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,553 Posts
You are wrong in your assumption that NM-C is standard "Romex". The "C" indicates that it is corrosion resistant and it has to be NM-C to use in any underground chase.
They haven't been here since 2010. Doesn't matter if they were wrong or not, they won't be back anytime soon...

P.S., Please fill out your profile. It's required, and only takes a few moments. I have provided a link below to assist with this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.