Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding a receptacle in a hay barn and I'm stapling it every 3-4' so it isn't touching any of te steel siding but I was wondering if NMWU is allowed to touch steel or not?
Wood Wall Rectangle Wood stain Material property

Wood Building Fawn Terrestrial animal Brick

Thanks, Tim.

Attachments

Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
No code or issues I can think of.

Reactions: Navyguy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come to think about it we use to use it on construction jobs for temp lighting.

Tim

Registered
I wouldn't worry as long as you bond the armour. And if you wanted to be real good you could bond the siding.
Edit: I just realized you were talking about nmw and I was thinking acwu. Wouldn't run nmw because it not a wet location and nmd is cheaper and easier. But highly recommend you think about mechanical protection if you use NM in any configuration. I would use bx or some such.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
Can't find anything in the code that says anything about nmwu touching metal.
However, somewhere in the back of my mind, there was at one time mention of not allowing nmwu because of rodents. Maybe that was just in animal housing structures.

Light Bender
plumber
Can't find anything in the code that says anything about nmwu touching metal.
However, somewhere in the back of my mind, there was at one time mention of not allowing nmwu because of rodents. Maybe that was just in animal housing structures.
Correct.
22-204(5)

Electrical Contractor

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who needs a code book when you guys are around :love:

Tim.

Reactions: Kevin

Electrical Contractor
Who needs a code book when you guys are around :love:

Tim.
Problem is that I'm on my 15th or 16th edition (maybe 17th)and still think some code from way back hasn't been changed lol

Reactions: canbug

Registered
Power distribution and controls
I am from south of your border, USA.
I ran all of my 30 x 70 building in romex. I used bushings where I had to run down metal stud walls. As long as it is protected from damage I would think you are good to go.
Mine is a bit different

Looking at your picture one last time I would consider running the wiring up on top near the ceiling. Round bales move some times.

Attachments

Registered
Electrical Contractor
NMWU touching metal siding isn't any different then it touching a 4040 or an integral box clamp. We run it like you did in pole sheds for machinery parking. The only thing is I've seen inspectors complain if it is too close to the siding because it's concealed from that side (Drill thru the middle of a stud, not close to outside idea). For that we will keep it on the inside edge of the wood, or even pull the wire down onto the strapping face to staple it, and just run up and behind where the studs are.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts