Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a situation (In Central Florida), that a 3PH commercial service does not have any main disconnecting means. The POCO CTcabinet is feeding inside the building to (2) 225 amp MAIN LUG panels. Outside, there is no disconnect; only the CT cabinet. We will be adding a new sub-panel inside for additional space inside.

To bring this site up to code, it is my understanding that a disconnect must be added outside (the ct cabinet is 5 foot away from the edge of the building), and the panels need to be main breaker, since they are not adjacent to the disconnecting (or lack of) means. Am i wrong in my understanding?

What is the best option in your opinions to approach this?

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
... The POCO CTcabinet is feeding inside the building to (2) 225 amp MAIN LUG panels. Outside, there is no disconnect; only the CT cabinet.
If there are two panels off of the CT cabinet, but still a total of no more than 6 breakers between them, the "6 hand rule" could apply.

We will be adding a new sub-panel inside for additional space inside.

To bring this site up to code, it is my understanding that a disconnect must be added outside (the ct cabinet is 5 foot away from the edge of the building), and the panels need to be main breaker, since they are not adjacent to the disconnecting (or lack of) means. Am i wrong in my understanding?

What is the best option in your opinions to approach this?
If the 6 hand rule is being applied correctly, you would need to have your new panel fed from one of the existing panels. For example Panel 1 has 3 breakers in it, Panel 2 has 2 breakers, you can add a 3rd breaker to Panel 2 to feed your new Panel 3.

If your two panels already contain 6 breakers, then you either have to feed it from some other downstream circuit in a sub panel (if any), or install an overall main as you suggested.

If the two panels have more than 6 breakers (or for some other reason violates the 6 hand rules), you will need to bring it up to code.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.