Electrician Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed a ring main and lighting circuit to a new extension, and had priced the job from plans.When I had access to the board it was clear the earthing arrangements did not meet part P of the building code(ie, gas and water main was not bonded). I informed the customer that I was obligated to update the earthing because I had installed new circuits and there would be an additional charge ---- he would have non of it and refuses to part with another penny. It will take the best part of a days work plus cable etc ( 10mm, not cheap), but what can you do in this situation, exept lose money and learn from your mistakes, --- any suggestions welcome!:mad:

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,796 Posts
Then you need to tell folks up front, or have very clear contract wording that these issues will be dealt with as they come up. End of story.
How can YOU be responsible for something like this, unless, you forgot to tell them or wasn't aware that it needed to be done.
Now you know for next time.

This can be equated to AFCI requirements here. Most places do not require them to be installed during a service or panel change, but a small few places DO require it. What if you did not included this in your price, or did not know it was required? That could add as much as $800-$1000 to the cost of material.
Nasty hit if you don't expect it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts