Electrician Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"according to the province’s Training, College and Universities Ministry, Ontario will not face a significant shortage of workers during the next decade."

"Retiring baby boomers will likely temper Ontario’s labour force growth, but it will not necessarily lead to large-scale shortages,” ministry spokesperson Gyula Kovacs said

"The number of younger workers exceeded the number of those close to retirement in many skilled trades in 2011, according to Labour Shortages in Skilled Trades"

"Specifically, plumbers, pipefitters and gas fitters, electrical trades, carpenters and cabinetmakers, other construction trades and other installers and repairers have a healthy number of young workers."

http://www.simcoe.com/news-story/4049790-no-clear-picture-on-trades-shortage/

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
Time to move while you can.

From that same article:
By 2020, Canada will be short one million tradespeople, according to Skills Canada and the Canadian Apprenticeship Forum.
Or figure out a way to be a good business person (electrical contractor) in the area you want to live.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Here in alberta my adds for help would get 15-25 responses a day a couple years ago. Now trying to find help I get 2-4 a day and most are just fishing too see if grass is greener. Hate too see what happens if I need more in a couple years

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
The apprenticeship programs in my state are 10-15% of what they used to be 3 decades ago when i started

Let the demographic supply demand games begin!

~CS~

·
Registered
427 Posts
Here in alberta my adds for help would get 15-25 responses a day a couple years ago. Now trying to find help I get 2-4 a day and most are just fishing too see if grass is greener. Hate too see what happens if I need more in a couple years
Crappy for employers, great for us job seekers though. I had the easiest time finding a job as a first year last month thanks to that fact.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Other then family I see no reason why I'd ever go back. Alberta has given me the start I needed in this trade, great wages and more responsibility then simply pushing a broom. I actually enjoy my job and am treated well. Don't much miss the traffic in the GTA either, you don't realize how bad it was till you leave.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts