Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a job on a pedestal at a a RV park, and the park is around 60 years old and each pedestal is feed with 2/0 Alu wire, the one I worked on burned up,
So, I installed a new pedestal, and used Noalox on the lugs where the ALU wire goes, The question is, I also put Noalox on the copper wire also, was that the
right thing to do, can I use Noalox on copper to copper, and will I have any future issues,????? see picture of the damaged box,

Thank you. for any and all information.
Reyamkram

Attachments

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,323 Posts
I doubt that Noalox on copper wire will be of any concern. I do not use it on copper often but I have been known to fill wirenuts up and use it on copper connection in a ground junction box.

·
Registered
15,309 Posts
Now that I did and put it on the copper wires also, I talked to a few people in the trade, and they say that was not a good idea.

Thank you, for your replay,
Here’s the problem with tradesmen that make statements based on opinion not fact. You most likely can look at the container and it will tell you what I just copied from a manufacturer’s website.

NON-GRIT - ILSCO DE-OX series is suitable for aluminum or copper terminations.
ZINC - ILSCO DE-OX-Z series contains flecks of zinc providing improved pull-out strength and reduced operating temperatures for aluminum or copper terminations.

·
Registered
747 Posts
copper to copper you can use copper paste.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,678 Posts
Southwire agent who is also a code making panel member told me directly that they recommend noalox on aluminum even though it isn't required anymore. He added, that in fact we recommend noalox on copper connection also.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
3,586 Posts
Southwire agent who is also a code making panel member told me directly that they recommend noalox on aluminum even though it isn't required anymore. He added, that in fact we recommend noalox on copper connection also.
Let me guess, Southwire now has a brand of noalox it’s trying to push.

·
Chief Flunky
Field Service Engineer
3,727 Posts
There are several electrical joint compounds out there. Noalox is just one but it’s a brand name of several formulas. But ultimately mostly they just clean a little oxide from the surface. I haven’t seen anything except some leftover residue after a few years. No shiny clean metal except in the joint where it is gas tight anyway. I’m convinced you’ll get more out of liquid electrical tape (or just electrical tape) and silicone grease compared to joint compounds.if it actually prevented corrosion it would prevent conduction too.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,611 Posts
You don't need to use NO-ALOX on terminations , but I am convinced that you need to smear some near terminations, like on the nearest 2x4 or maybe the meter socket cover with your finger.
Then the inspector visits and passes your inspection , because he knows he doesn't need to look much further after seeing how well you terminated your connections at the service.........

Reactions: readydave8

·
Premium Member
20,135 Posts
I did a job on a pedestal at a a RV park, and the park is around 60 years old and each pedestal is feed with 2/0 Alu wire, the one I worked on burned up,
So, I installed a new pedestal, and used Noalox on the lugs where the ALU wire goes, The question is, I also put Noalox on the copper wire also, was that the
right thing to do, can I use Noalox on copper to copper, and will I have any future issues,????? see picture of the damaged box,

Thank you. for any and all information.
Reyamkram
Its rated for both, no problem what so ever unless someone suggests you HAVE to use it on contemporary 8800 alloy aluminum conductors, then you tell them to go read the manufacturer's instructions.

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
4,975 Posts
You don't need to use NO-ALOX on terminations , but I am convinced that you need to smear some near terminations, like on the nearest 2x4 or maybe the meter socket cover with your finger.
Then the inspector visits and passes your inspection , because he knows he doesn't need to look much further after seeing how well you terminated your connections at the service.........
I like your thinking!

This time.....

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,323 Posts
I have a local utility that I have seen use axle grease in AL connections on AL wire.
They do go the extra mile and use grease rated for trailers submerged in water.
Their engineer told me as long as you keep the air off the connection your good to go.
They were using hydraulic tools for crimping the connections.

·
Can't Remember
11,138 Posts
If the meter, panel, ats, whatever, say to use it, then use is it. I like to use it on lug threads and the aluminum wire, especially outside. If I do a job once, it’s expected I might have to come back years later and repair or replace something.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,342 Posts
Shows how many different views or theories on different materials are out there. I was under the impression that oxide inhibitor slows down corrosion by preventing oxygen from getting to the connections. It works great for flat surfaces but a round wire, unless it is a crimp I wonder about.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts