Electrician Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
I don't see how polarity is an issue in A/C motors, honestly. Even with the cord going to a rectifier pack (such as on my laptop) A/C polarity is a non-issue. FWIW, the cord on my charge cord for my laptop is non-polarized.

I've never really understood the need for polarized cords, honestly.
It sure will if the ground ever becomes faulty now you have an energized chassis and a shock hazard.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I understand the need for a hot line and a neutral line in the power system, but in the cord itself? Pointless.

Edit: If the neutral part of the cord is somehow bonded to the chassis, I could see the point then, but then why not just use a three-prong cord and be done with it? Wasn't that part of the impetus for dryers going to a four-wire cord (e.g. separating the neutral and ground prongs)?
3 Prong does provide more protection, but that still doesn't change the fact that if the ground is lost a shock hazard is present.

Also, energized chassis only applies if contact surfaces are metal (such as with my toaster oven). If the chassis of my laptop ever gets energized, I have bigger problems then a faulty ground.
This is why you have polarized and non-polarized plugs, I'll be honest I can't remember the last time I saw anything but polarized. Oh and not all laptop's are made of plastic.
If the potential for a safety issue exist's that is all that really matter's. And as long as the Edison screw is in place it's not far-fetched that a child could get hurt.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.