Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you in Chicago? Why pipe a house?
No. I feel like it’s a safer install that protects against rodents. Also I’m redoing all the plaster so I don’t want to ever have to break the plaster to redo something. Also Unlikely event house needs rewired for lightning strike/etc.

I do think the real reason is I wanted to challenge my ability. Sure, racing romex is cheaper and quicker, but not as fun. It’s kinda funny our commercial buildings use conduit while our dwellings where we sleep are romex.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
171 Posts
I did a house in the old part of Phoenix in grc once. The boss signed a contract with a married couple to do the remodel in like materials. Pulling wire was easy getting the boxes set for the plaster, not dry wall was a pain.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,464 Posts
I hate to be critical BUT I'd bet that some of those runs have more than 360 degrees between pull points.

ie: the run to the 4" ceiling box probably has two 90 degree bends at the sill plate like the one pic shows, no reason they had to be full 90s to make the offset.

Best of luck pulling a run like that.

K-Y may not be just for laytime in this house.......

·
Administrator
EC
22,587 Posts
Compliments-- you did a great job especially if you never bent pipe before. I just want you to know that this site is not for diy'ers so we wouldn't be able you should you need it. You are free to peruse the forum all you want.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,553 Posts
Compliments-- you did a great job especially if you never bent pipe before. I just want you to know that this site is not for diy'ers so we wouldn't be able you should you need it. You are free to peruse the forum all you want.
I was going to close the thread, but it sounds like you're okay with it staying open?

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,553 Posts
I am impressed with the conduit done by this homeowner. Maybe they're thinking of getting into the trade?

When I build my own home in the future EVRRYTHING is getting done in conduit. Why? Because I can.... and because I know there's always gonna be something to add.

·
Registered
Electrician
71 Posts
It’s kinda funny our commercial buildings use conduit while our dwellings where we sleep are romex.
Romex is acceptable in residential because of the fire rating of the building. What sense does it make to have conduits that can last hours in a fire if all the wood studs holding them up are burned quickly. I even see romex in some small commercial buildings with wooden roof systems.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,166 Posts
Romex is acceptable in residential because of the fire rating of the building. What sense does it make to have conduits that can last hours in a fire if all the wood studs holding them up are burned quickly. I even see romex in some small commercial buildings with wooden roof systems.
Well, if a rodent chewed wire started the fire, with conduit, neither the framing nor the wiring would have burned, would it?

People go back and forth whether the Chicago area really has significantly better fire risk due to conduit but it has to be some advantage.

You can avoid some arc fault breakers, and maintenance / changes are obviously easier.

If he wants to wire his house in conduit, there are MUCH stupider things people spend their money on, I say go for it.

·
Registered
Electrician
71 Posts
Well, if a rodent chewed wire started the fire, with conduit, neither the framing nor the wiring would have burned, would it?

People go back and forth whether the Chicago area really has significantly better fire risk due to conduit but it has to be some advantage.

You can avoid some arc faults, and maintenance / changes are obviously easier.

If he wants to wire his house in conduit, there are MUCH stupider things people spend their money on, I say go for it.
Yeah I agree, there is way worse things he could waste his time and money on. But I would expect rodent-wire-chewing house fires to be on the decline with arc fault breakers though. I think all the EMT looks excellent, I'm always impressed when I see that guys took ALOT of time to piece together a system like that. But I hope he doesn't lose the pictures on his phone, because when the wall finish goes up it'll just look the same as my house.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,464 Posts
Maybe a metal box and or conduit could contain an electrical fire and not spread it to the wooden studs before the smoke is noticed?

I've seen plenty of devices burn up inside metal boxes and never start the framing on fire.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,464 Posts
Is it just me or do there seem to be a million of these homeowner threads now? Maybe I’m just here a lot more but it feels like a lot more than say years ago.
Oh so true and some mods just let them ride rather than offend someone that obviously has no reading comprehension skills when signing up.

What is the point of entry rules if they aren't followed?

·
Administrator
EC
22,587 Posts
Beside labor and cost the problem with piping is when you remodel especially if you don't have access above and below.

Reactions: blueheels2

·
Administrator
EC
22,587 Posts
Oh so true and some mods just let them ride rather than offend someone that obviously has no reading comprehension skills when signing up.

What is the point of entry rules if they aren't followed?

It is not that, it is because he really isn't asking "how to". Showing off his work-- so what- it isn't hurting anyone and it has provided some discussion. Sure I could have deleted the thread then we get messages from members saying why did you delete that thread.... you can't win but I guess that's why we are paid the big bucks...lol

1 - 20 of 65 Posts