Electrician Talk banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,461 Posts
It is not that, it is because he really isn't asking "how to". Showing off his work-- so what- it isn't hurting anyone and it has provided some discussion. Sure I could have deleted the thread then we get messages from members saying why did you delete that thread.... you can't win but I guess that's why we are paid the big bucks...lol
My comment was in general regarding the overwhelming amount of homeowner posts not directed at this particular post.

I agree that this one is fine (as no question(s) asked) but the other 55,000 posted really needed to be closed before any advice was offered by the overly friendly electricians that could be held liable for a misinterpreted homeowner disaster. .

·
Registered
Electrician
68 Posts
If we really want only electricians to post here then why don’t we change the structure so that when someone signs up for an account, they aren’t allowed to actually post anything until a moderator or someone verified that they are an actual electrician?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
SEE ????? I knew you guys got paid big bucks to mod here, LOL. That guy did a really nice job for someone who has never done it before. There are many guys that I've had on the job that never made as nice a looking job and if they had I'd have gone broke with all the conduit that ended up in the dumpster. I'm wondering how much time it took him and how much conduit he used in this, put number here, square foot house. Point is he did a good job.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It’s a 1300 square ft house. I’ve probably wasted between 10 and 15 sticks. I’ve cut and reused where possible.

It’s a slow process as I work two jobs and only can work an hour or two here or there.

I am thinking about getting in the trade. If I could find a second shift apprenticeship I would. Financially, I couldn’t afford to quit my main job where I’m rehabbing my house.

·
Registered
889 Posts
My comment was in general regarding the overwhelming amount of homeowner posts not directed at this particular post.

I agree that this one is fine (as no question(s) asked) but the other 55,000 posted really needed to be closed before any advice was offered by the overly friendly electricians that could be held liable for a misinterpreted homeowner disaster. .
Ok, I hear that the liability excuse a bunch and I'm unconvinced. Cite an instance where someone has successfully litigated a public forum such as this ( not behind a paywall) for any advice proffered.

·
Super Moderator
Pres., GPS Timers
6,548 Posts
OP need to tell us how much pipe he bought and how much is in the dumpster.
That's the true measure of how quick he picked it up.
As much as the University of YouTube is shunned for technical work, there actually are some good bending videos on there.

As to people saying why is a HO allowed on here, I'd say it has something to do with the quality of work. If it were junk work and he was asking if it's ok, how to fix it, etc. then he'd be sent over to the DIY room.

When I was in training as a city inspector we walked into a job where some guy had pulled owner/ contractor permits but he was not the owner. He was renting commercial space. Boss took one look at his emt and said if he can bend pipe like that he knows what he's doing. That would never fly today but 30 years ago things were a bit more relaxed.

Nice job there OP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I estimate my waste percentage is between 10 and 20%. Most of the scrap has some from me screwing up offsets on runs that include 90s. I’m able to reuse some of the scrap on little runs. The outlets on the first floor stub down about 16” and then another couple feet to a 1900. (Forgive the nm clamp in this picture. Was going to run NM to a few outlets but I since figured a way to get conduit to those outlets)

·
Hackenschmidt
11,156 Posts
Ok, I hear that the liability excuse a bunch and I'm unconvinced. Cite an instance where someone has successfully litigated a public forum such as this ( not behind a paywall) for any advice proffered.
I am glad someone said it, it isn't liability, I mean FFS the same company hosts diychatroom.com so that's not it.

There's nothing wrong with saying it, it's a forum for professionals. If you open the forum to DIYers asking DIY questions, think about where that goes. There are far more DIYers with questions than pros, through no fault on anyone's part, that content would quickly drown out the pro-to-pro stuff. With the DIY stuff diluting the content, most of the pros would leave.

Having a separate forum where the pros that wish to can participate works out very well. Someone posts here, just redirect them over there and everybody's happy.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,156 Posts
Having a separate forum where the pros that wish to can participate works out very well. Someone posts here, just redirect them over there and everybody's happy.
Except this guy of course, who was so pleased how his DIY conduit came out he wanted to show off to some pros. I don't mind, I mean who's he going to brag to once his walls are closed up again? And I am not worried about the site being deluged with DIYers showing off their nice DIY conduit work in their homes :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for the compliments. I was raised to take pride in my work. Also I’m hoping my inspector goes easier on me as he is notorious for giving homeowners a difficult time.

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,534 Posts
Unless we follow this guy around, who knows what DIY questions will be asked down the road?
They don't pay us enough to do that....lol
They might not pay you enough to do that, but I get paid more than enough to do that... lol

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,461 Posts
It only takes once!

When someone is hurt lawyers sue everybody possible.

Reactions: Kevin
21 - 40 of 65 Posts