Electrician Talk banner

Non union 4th year apprentice in Montana, need to move to Utah ASAP

376 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  GigawattsGW
Hello, does anyone on here know if you can transfer an apprenticeship program that is nonunion from the state of Montana to the state of Utah and finish out the last book work there and take my journeyman exam there? I have 12,000 on the job hours, but have about six months of homework to finish. My son is having medical issues in Utah and lives with my ex-wife and I need to relocate there ASAP.
any and all advice is welcomed, and thank you for reading
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,932 Posts
The only people that can answer your question are the people who are running your apprenticeship. Nonunion training is a mixed bag, there is a host of people driving those training programs. Most are not set up to be moved to another city let alone another state.
Then you will have to find one in the area your moving to, hopefully a large city.

I wish you well. Monday will be here soon and then you can call.

I visited southern Utah one summer, noted the wind never stopped blowing and there was not one power wind mill anywhere from the AZ border Kanab to Ceder City. Lots of fantastic views, Hurricane was fantistic, out of my price range.

· Registered
83 Posts
i worked a little bit in the southeast corner of the state.... mostly oilfield..... it's a different world down there man....

played quite a bit of golf at The Hideout course in Monticello, UT - they're up 7000 feet there.... so all my drives went really far

· Registered
IBEW Local 659
158 Posts
Hello, does anyone on here know if you can transfer an apprenticeship program that is nonunion from the state of Montana to the state of Utah and finish out the last book work there and take my journeyman exam there? I have 12,000 on the job hours, but have about six months of homework to finish. My son is having medical issues in Utah and lives with my ex-wife and I need to relocate there ASAP.
any and all advice is welcomed, and thank you for reading

Utah does not reciprocate with Montana, even though Montana reciprocates with Utah :rolleyes:

I changed mid program from non union Cali to union Oregon and it was a time consuming process. I'd be surprised if you could get thru all the hoops and be fully relocated with employment in under six months.

My first thought is that you should use these six months to get all your ducks in a row in Utah.

Wishing you well whatever you decide to do.

Edit:

Just wanted to drop this here it's from the link above.

"Out-of-State Testing: Contact Prov directly to make these arrangements. Their phone number is 877-228-3926. "

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good luck with your kid dude.
Appreciate that thanks man, unfortunately been away from him for awhile due to nasty ex wife
The only people that can answer your question are the people who are running your apprenticeship. Nonunion training is a mixed bag, there is a host of people driving those training programs. Most are not set up to be moved to another city let alone another state.
Then you will have to find one in the area your moving to, hopefully a large city.

I wish you well. Monday will be here soon and then you can call.

I visited southern Utah one summer, noted the wind never stopped blowing and there was not one power wind mill anywhere from the AZ border Kanab to Ceder City. Lots of fantastic views, Hurricane was fantistic, out of my price range.
You are right, made a phone call too complicated to do being non union. Thank you for your rely sir appreciate it.

· Registered
Industrial Wireman
136 Posts
Side note... I spent many years in Billings and Bozeman while not in the trades and I regret leaving... However, you have enough hours to take a Masters License Exam in most states... I would highly recommend you either get your license or let them know you will not settle for bottom of the barrel pay because you are new....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts