Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to land an apprenticeship right now with a non union shop. Im wondering how often you non union guys get tested after the initial screen. It is my understanding that union drug testing is a lot more harsh. I can pass right now no problem just wondering if its something I will have to worry about for the length of my career. I appreciate any helpful information.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have been an apprentice for about 6 months have yet to take a single test. I work for a small family business, and my mom best friends brother owns it. I also was a truck driver and subject to DOT regs before hiring on. I asked them about a test and back ground check and I was told that with my past employment they trusted me. But if I'm injured I will get tested that day. Ymmv.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wow. If a company wants to pay me to piss in a cup every day, let them. If you dont have anything to hide, relax. Eventually a person gets to a point in their life when they need to become an adult and assume the role as a resposible, somewhat "law abiding" citizen. I might not always agree with them but I do have to abide by them. If a company sets certain standards for employment, we must abide by them. We choose who we work for!

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
So what happens if you live/work in Colorado? State says weed is legal, and the Federal government says it's not legal (but is not enforcing the law, thereby setting a precedent for it's overturn).

Does a contractor in Colorado terminate someone for smoking weed when it's legal there?

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
So what happens if you live/work in Colorado? State says weed is legal, and the Federal government says it's not legal (but is not enforcing the law, thereby setting a precedent for it's overturn).

Does a contractor in Colorado terminate someone for smoking weed when it's legal there?
If it's against company policy, then yeah, I would think they have a right to fire you even if weed is legal.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
If it's against company policy, then yeah, I would think they have a right to fire you even if weed is legal.
I won't argue against that (because I agree). Now, what if the company had a policy against drinking (not just on the job)? Would you feel the same way?

Reactions: TeslaPeaceRay

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Up here the client's policy is usually what is followed.. Pre-access and post incident are the only times I've heard of up here.. I've heard of random tests too, but again, I think it depends on where you are working and for who...

·
Registered
387 Posts

Same rules apply as if you came to work intoxicated or have lingering effects from being intoxicated

·
Registered
171 Posts
If the company policy prohibits "anything" and this was disclosed pre-employment, they have the right to terminate anyone vilotaing their policies. If you do not like the policies, start your own company or go to work someone else. In todays times there are plenty of more than qualified people that would be willing to step in line for a drug test.

·
Registered
272 Posts
No one has ever been tested at my company that I am aware of. The safety guys on our site can test you if they say you appear impaired. I have heard of guys being tested because the Forman knew they would fail and he just wanted them gone. The only other reason that I have heard of drug testing being performed is if their is an accident or injury on the job. Then all involved are tested immediately and terminated if they fail.

·
Professional Nit Picker
2,341 Posts
I have only had to drug test 2 times. Once for a non-union EC .
The second time was when I was in the hiring process for my current position ( which is union but not the IBEW)

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
If you have to worrie about drug testing then you should not be in this trade or any other for that matter.

LC

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
I can pass right now no problem just wondering if its something I will have to worry about for the length of my career.
So.....in other words.....as soon as you pee and pass, you're gonna blaze a fatty and hope like hell that they never test again.:laughing::rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess I should have known that the only people who would be replying to this thread are biased, closed minded old timers looking to tell someone else what they should or should not be doing with their own personal time. To all of you negative nancy's congratulations on living your entire life and not learning a damn thing about how the real world works. You are and always will have a limited mind. I was simply looking for a little information about the frequency of drug screens. I was not looking for someone on a high horse handing down life lessons. Thank you for letting me know how many douche bags are floating around this site. I guarantee I will be more successful than all of you. I won't be returning to this thread so if you bother to post another negative reply you will just be wasting your time. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts