Electrician Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently a Rhode Island electrical apprentice. I have my associates degree in electrical science (2 year program) which also gives me 2 years credit for working hours. I have almost 5 years of working hours and I am finishing up my 4th year of schooling. I have been looking into moving to either North Carolina or Tennessee. I was wondering what the requirements were to obtain a journeyman license. If I take the test in rhode island and receive my journeyman licence here will I be able to just take the test in these other two states or will I have to meet any other requirements? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
925 Posts
NC doesn't have a statewide Jmans license however, some cities do and AFAIK they don't even reciprocate within state. Just wait until you decide where you are going and check into it if it is needed.

Roger

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I am currently a Rhode Island electrical apprentice. I have my associates degree in electrical science (2 year program) which also gives me 2 years credit for working hours. I have almost 5 years of working hours and I am finishing up my 4th year of schooling. I have been looking into moving to either North Carolina or Tennessee. I was wondering what the requirements were to obtain a journeyman license. If I take the test in rhode island and receive my journeyman licence here will I be able to just take the test in these other two states or will I have to meet any other requirements? Thanks for the help.

http://www.ncbeec.org/

http://www.tn.gov/regboards/contractors/electrician.shtml

You should get your RI license first and the other states may reciprocate with you..

Welcome aboard....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
167 Posts

Keep track of all of you hours spent on the job if you decide to come to NC, they require that everything be documented. Your employer(s) will have to provide you a signed and notarized statement (available to print out from the NCBEEC website) showing your hours worked and your classification, to submit with your license exam application. Your schooling will only count 50% for hours worked here.
Also, 1 year=2,000 hours. If a license exam requires 4 years of experience, that means 8,000 hours of documented experience. The board is very strict on the application process but will assist you in any way they can. They are committed to very high standards for the electrical trade in NC.

BT Electric

1 - 4 of 4 Posts