Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m wondering if anyone has had any experience with “North East Industrial Battery” fork lift chargers ... or any fork lift chargers for that matter. I will be planning on wiring 3 of them, all different voltage outputs (24, 36, 48). They currently have cut whips coming out of them (used) and I will be installing them a floor below the electrical panels. It’s an easy route. they have the ability to be wired 480v, 240v, and 208v. There is not 480 panel so my options are 240v or 208v. I don’t know why I’m intimidated by this but I guess it’s just because I’ve never done one. I’ve done many EV and Tesla chargers and am under the impression it’s relatively the same when it comes to wiring in the panel. If I were to do it 240v this is how I would ... someone correct me where I go wrong if I do.

- First and foremost I would make sure the chargers transformers inside are wired correctly according to the Manuel for 240v etc.

• 2 pole 50 amp breaker ..
  • 2 #6 hot legs (piped, MC, flex, my choosing)
  • line side goes to a disconnect (for there is not
one internally)
- then the load side will come out of disconnect and be wired into the charger (at appropriate terminals.

As I’m writing this it sounds easier than I anticipate but would love some feedback. I am in the waiting for my license test in about 3 weeks and just keeping myself super busy in the meantime with whatever comes my way (and that which I feel I can do). There is not much I won’t take a shot at because I know my work is reliable and safe. When I have questions I phone friends or now would come here. I would appreciate any advice, feedback, etc. I will also include pics of the stamps and internals of the transformers.

Attachments

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,613 Posts
Just make sure you do both main xformer and control transformer.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
972 Posts
I am sure you did not mean put the chargers under the panels. Working clearances, I always put them to the side of the serving panel.
You also need to allow access for the forklift to drive in and out.
Good catch on the 3 phase

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You need to read the manufacturer tag more closely, it says that the unit requires 3phase.

Single phase supply wiring won't cut it.
I apologize for the late response, work has been wild. Thank you for spotting that. I seen that, but am curious to my options if the panels are single phase. Do I not have any options after that at all? Or only single phase battery chargers would work at this point? In other words ..... if the panels I’m working with are single phase those chargers are worthless in this establishment? Nothing can be done internally with the batteries? Or does that question lie with the Battery Manufacturer?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am sure you did not mean put the chargers under the panels. Working clearances, I always put them to the side of the serving panel.
You also need to allow access for the forklift to drive in and out.
Good catch on the 3 phase
they are not even going to be on the same floor. The floor below the electrical closet is where the chargers will be! Good looks though!

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,613 Posts
You mean if I switch it around accordingly to the correct voltage to not forget to also switch around the “control” lay out internally in the charger as well .....
Yes there two connection drawing in what you show

1 - 8 of 8 Posts