Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran two 20 amp circuits in 3/4 conduit to a 1900 box from there i added additional EMT with bends and one LB for easier pulling. Now these circuits are for 2 separate duplex outlets. I test for power i get 120 on 1 hot and about 35volts on another leg. there is a splice in the 1900 and i have 120 on both legs coming from the panel so i know its not a breaker issue the problem is from the 1900 to the outlet.

any ideas!!

thank u

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
Hi EagleEye,

Sounds like your L2 is damaged somewhere on the line. The neutral and ground are obviously good as L1 is able to read 120 volts. You should have taken apart the splice and tested L2 to determine where the damage conductor lies.

A secondary conductor would be easy to pull as 3/4 conduit allows you plenty of wiggle room unless you ran romex, which you should not have. Romex is not allowed in any conduit with the exception of small whips, e.g, disconnect to motor like a disposal or flex to a furnace.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
As you are sharing neutrals, is your breaker a 2 pole breaker? Have you measured voltage right at the breaker? If it is ok at the breaker (no loads connected) then you have a bad splice.. If it is not ok at the breaker, looks like you have a bad breaker...

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,341 Posts
First thing you need to do is throw that digital tester you bought and get a solanoid tester like the red knopp type. That will take care of that 35 volts you are seeing, it is not real.

Next open your j-box and use the knopp tester to see what your real voltage readings are at the splices.. Then remake the loose ones up.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,476 Posts
Hi EagleEye,

Sounds like your L2 is damaged somewhere on the line. The neutral and ground are obviously good as L1 is able to read 120 volts. You should have taken apart the splice and tested L2 to determine where the damage conductor lies.

A secondary conductor would be easy to pull as 3/4 conduit allows you plenty of wiggle room unless you ran romex, which you should not have. Romex is not allowed in any conduit with the exception of small whips, e.g, disconnect to motor like a disposal or flex to a furnace.

Thanks
You can use romex/NM in any conduit if it's not in a wet location. The code changed, and now conduit installed outside is considered a wet location, so no NM in outside conduit. But inside/dry location, you can use NM in conduit.
Not the best choice, but perfectly legal.

·
Registered
425 Posts
A Little Short said:
You can use romex/NM in any conduit if it's not in a wet location. The code changed, and now conduit installed outside is considered a wet location, so no NM in outside conduit. But inside/dry location, you can use NM in conduit. Not the best choice, but perfectly legal.

Like this, couldn't be more then 2 months old

Attachments

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
You can use romex/NM in any conduit if it's not in a wet location. The code changed, and now conduit installed outside is considered a wet location, so no NM in outside conduit. But inside/dry location, you can use NM in conduit.
Not the best choice, but perfectly legal.
Protecting whips and other small romex cables supplying equipment is what I said and that is basically what the code is saying.

Thanks for pointing out the outside conduit rule. :thumbup:

I would just add romex is not listed in table 9 conductor fill charts. THHN != Romex.

·
Premium Member
20,109 Posts
I ran two 20 amp circuits in 3/4 conduit to a 1900 box from there i added additional EMT with bends and one LB for easier pulling. Now these circuits are for 2 separate duplex outlets. I test for power i get 120 on 1 hot and about 35volts on another leg. there is a splice in the 1900 and i have 120 on both legs coming from the panel so i know its not a breaker issue the problem is from the 1900 to the outlet.

any ideas!!

thank u
Ok so, what color wire did you use?
Did you change colors ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
EagleEyeElectric said:
I ran two 20 amp circuits in 3/4 conduit to a 1900 box from there i added additional EMT with bends and one LB for easier pulling. Now these circuits are for 2 separate duplex outlets. I test for power i get 120 on 1 hot and about 35volts on another leg. there is a splice in the 1900 and i have 120 on both legs coming from the panel so i know its not a breaker issue the problem is from the 1900 to the outlet. any ideas!! thank u
If you can't find the problem then you have failed as an electrician. Let us know what it was

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.