Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Electrician
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a little how you upper East coast guys felt after your "Sandy" storm a while back.
Last week we had about a 1/4" of ice, then 3-4" of snow. Big deal right?
Well the stuff lingered all week then Friday night it started snowing again then turned to just ice. So there was about 1/2" more ice that fell. Add that to what we already had and the trees couldn't take it anymore.

You might have seen it on the news. It was in Middle to East Tennessee. There was around 15000 to 20000 power outages just in my area alone.
Myself and two other electricians teamed up and have been putting services back up since Saturday, pretty much non-stop.

Bad thing is even when we get the services back up the grid is still down in some areas and won't be back up for days. I don't mind the work but not used to working late in the dark with below freezing temperatures.

But when I think of the people having to stay home with no power, I don't feel so bad. Most don't want to leave for fear of getting there house broken into. Some don't have family to go to or the money to get a hotel.

Still getting calls for work and don't know how much more damage there may be that hasn't been found yet. Top that off with more snow forecast for tomorrow.
We're hoping that either the snow won't hit or no further damage will result from it.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We got 4 or 5 more calls today for services being down.
I've been wondering why we're still getting calls for "downed" services since the power has been out since Saturday morning. Turns out some people just assumed the power was out because the main lines or grid was out.
But when they see their neighbors have power and they don't they call the POCO back.
They never even looked to see that their service was pulled loose from the house or pole if it is a mobile home.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
That sir is why I live where I do. Can't even remember when the last time I saw snow or friggin 30 degree F. You guys can have that bullchit!
That's why I left Winchester VA. The year I left we had 18" the 2nd week of February, then 10 days later another 14". I know that's nothing compared to Boston, but it's way more than I want to put up with.

Reactions: Knightryder12

·
Registered
321 Posts
My pansy arse couldn't even bare the lil bit of snow/ sleet we had a couple years back. That crap sent me running to my truck and to the house for an antifreeze stiff bourbon and coke.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
That sir is why I live where I do. Can't even remember when the last time I saw snow or friggin 30 degree F. You guys can have that bullchit!
The last time I saw ice, I was looking in my freezer. The last time I saw snow, I had to drive for over an hour to get to it. I am here to tell you that snow is a lot of fun, well worth the drive.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'll back that statement. I take the family to Colorado (try to annually) and the snow can be a magical blast for them and myself at times. But living and working in it, once again, not me .

·
Registered
321 Posts
Bring it I'm ready. My generac needs a good exercise again. Besides that them storms sure do bring me some serious coin. Emergency calls everywhere at all times.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts
The last time I saw ice, I was looking in my freezer. The last time I saw snow, I had to drive for over an hour to get to it. I am here to tell you that snow is a lot of fun, well worth the drive.
I bet it's more fun when you go to it than when it comes to you. :laughing:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts