Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I would like to get an idea of wages in the NY Metro Area (non-union). I'm just starting out and was offered $10/hr w/o any benefits. Does that seem reasonable?

What can one expect to earn around here in 0-2 years? 3-5 yrs? Beyond that?

Thanks,

Nicomn

·
Chairman of the Bored
9,774 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I would like to get an idea of wages in the NY Metro Area (non-union). I'm just starting out and was offered $10/hr w/o any benefits. Does that seem reasonable?

Thanks,

Nicomn
A green helper here in Atlanta can fetch $8-10. Don't help you too much being up there but you might call around to other EC's and check to see what they offer. If you have aqny prior construction experience, that's a plus.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,797 Posts
Damn, I started on LI as a green helper @ $8/hr.....22 years ago.

Up here helpers make in the $10-$15 range.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I started at $2.10 per hr in 1966. JIW scale in 1969 was $7.81 or $7.84 plus benifits I can't remember which.

·
292 Posts
I agree with Frasbee-$10 is a good starting $$. Work hard and show up on time and you will be up to $12 after the first month.My nephew just got into L25,I think he started like $23 per hr.That may be low not sure.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Just be glad you have a foot in the door and don't look at the salary.

Learn as much and as fast as you can, THEN you can write your own ticket to making top dollar :thumbsup:
That's good advice.

I have a friend, late 20's, started doing electrical a year ago - didn't know anything about electrical at all - but he showed up each day ON TIME and did what he was asked to do. Now after only a year he is up from $10.00 an hour to $15.00 an hour. That's a 50% increase in 12 months. Not bad.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
I pay my helper with year and half experience 15 bucks an hour. I pay another kid with 5 years experience 22 bucks an hour. I share the kid with 5 years with another EC. I also give them little bonuses if they get jobs done in timely manner. I think this little incentive keeps them from getting complacent.

·
Registered
31,535 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Thanks,

Nicomn
Are you working now?
Are you making more than 10.00?
Do you want to be an electrician or are you just looking for a job?
Is there work in your area?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, I'm not just looking for a job (because I could definitely make more than $10/hr doing other things), I want to be an electrician and I don't care that much about starting low as I know times are tough and it's not the best time to be trying to get into the trade. $10 seemed even lower than I was expecting though and the employer told me that he was paying a guy with 5 years experience $15/hr and that also seemed really low. I was just checking to see if my expectations were unrealistic or if the guy was just cheap.

I took the job and just trying to learn as much as I can. I figure I'll ask for more money when I'm more confident in my abilities and have more to offer.

·
Registered
287 Posts
depends how much you know. A helper with no knowledge of the job can get about 80/day. I know some mechanics who make 120-170 a day. The extra pay obviously comes with knowledge of the job, and you would have more responsibilities compared to the helper. Thats just a given anyway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts