Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an o/s that fails in the on position for stairwell lighting. I checked Rab and Watt stopper specs and there is no mention of this feature. It's too late to call tech support. Does anyone know if this maybe a standard feature?

·
Pool Shark
472 Posts
I need an o/s that fails in the on position for stairwell lighting. I checked Rab and Watt stopper specs and there is no mention of this feature. It's too late to call tech support. Does anyone know if this maybe a standard feature?
I don't understand what you mean by "fail". Is this a single pole?

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
Make sure your local building (not electrical) code doesn't prohibit stairwell lights from having switches.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
union347sparky said:
I don't think you can predict how a contactor will fail. I have changed out tons of watt stopper brand os. You have a 50/50 chance how it fails.
Understood, I'm looking for the spec that states it fails in the on position..

·
Registered
798 Posts
I am concerned that OCC sensors should not control stair lighting? I think building codes may require the lights to be always on if anyone at all is in the building. Just imagine the impact if the sensor fails in a life emergency. Dark exit stairs because an OCC sensor is illegally installed? I'd check with the Fire department or building inspector before I mucked about with stair lighting.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
union347sparky said:
I don't think you can predict how a contactor will fail. I have changed out tons of watt stopper brand os. You have a 50/50 chance how it fails.
Agreed. No ones gonna guarantee something they can't predict

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Agreed. No ones gonna guarantee something they can't predict

I don't think he means it that way.

Fail Safe and Fail Secure are terms.

Fail safe when you want everyone to get out.

Fail secure when you want everyone to stay in. Prisons and such.

(Not a good example, but I think that is his idea)

Reactions: Salvatoreg02

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Awg-Dawg said:
I don't think he means it that way. Fail Safe and Fail Secure are terms. Fail safe when you want everyone to get out. Fail secure when you want everyone to stay in. Prisons and such. (Not a good example, but I think that is his idea)
Now I'm getting it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
The only time I ever used them in stairwells, they only shut off one ballast on each individual dual level light. We replaced them for a year in a hospital all over constantly. When the warranty was up, hospital maintenance guys were replacing them back to regular switches, and bypassing the relay for rooms with ceiling sensors.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,508 Posts
Occupany sensors in stairwells are common here.

Every sensor I've had that has failed has also failed in the on position.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.