Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the poco feeds a service where is the ocp? The transformer? I usually see the poco feed in 250 500 and paralled 500. It makes sense their wire will be ok but ive seen service with the wire size like #2 on a 200 amp service probably from the previous service. . What protects the feeder from our first disconnect back to the poco

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,522 Posts
I have always seen fuses on the poles but I am not sure they only do one home. IOW, if 4 homes are on the transformer then they all go down-- not certain about that.

Squirrels drive the power company nuts because they short out the fuses

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Nothing protects the utility transformer or the secondary conductors. The utility primary fuse is to protect the utility distribution system, not the transformer or the secondary conductors. The don't want a transformer fault or a secondary conductor fault to take out more than that single transformer.

At a fire call I watched 500 kcmil conductors and 4" rigid vaporize as the 750 kVA transformer just continued to feed the service conductors current. About 30 minutes in the utility arrived on scene. The transformer was in an underground vault. He opened the vault and the secondary conductors were smoking so he left and went to a substation to kill the primary feeder. When he came back, he cut the conductors to the faulted service and then re-energized the transformer to restore the power to the other custormers.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
I don't have the 2012 NESC, but this is from 97:

Section 16.
Conductors
164B
160. Application
Conductors shall be suitable for the location, use, and voltage. Conductors shall have ampacity that
is adequate for the application.
161. Electrical Protection
A. Overcurrent Protection Required
Conductors and insulation shall be protected against excessive heating by the design of the system
and by overcurrent, alarm, indication, or trip devices.

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
A heavily loaded pole pig IFO a friend's house trips out during heat waves at least 2x every summer. The utility resets it and drives away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.