Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't use many octagon boxes, but when I do, I mount them to sit flush with the finished wall surface (obviously, i guess).

The problem I've had is, using 1.5" deep octagon box and coming into it with 1/2" EMT on the side, the box connector and EMT offset project beyond the stud. This means the drywall has to be shaved/notched a few inches off the box.

Should I be setting the box back so its flush to the stud and not the drywall?

·
Registered
Electrician
4,444 Posts
I don't use many octagon boxes, but when I do, I mount them to sit flush with the finished wall surface (obviously, i guess).

The problem I've had is, using 1.5" deep octagon box and coming into it with 1/2" EMT on the side, the box connector and EMT offset project beyond the stud. This means the drywall has to be shaved/notched a few inches off the box.

Why are you doing a box offset that is behind drywall? Because of the holes in the studs not lining up with box KO?

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
What kind of stud and the type of it ??

Why you want to use 1.5 inch deep oct boxes ?

If you have alot room i would use deeper oct boxes ( typially 2.5 inch ) and can rum emt in straight shot. No offset is needed...

·
Safety Pin Member
2,255 Posts
If you must run EMT and use octagons, wouldn't deeper octagons
be a better option?
Don't know about the code down your way, but up here boxes aren't
supposed to be set back from the final finish more than 6mm....that's
about 1/4". Zero setback is allowed if the finish is combustible.
P&L

edit: took too long to type this and 3 similar answers snuck in ahead!

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
If you must run EMT and use octagons, wouldn't deeper octagons
be a better option?
Don't know about the code down your way, but up here boxes aren't
supposed to be set back from the final finish more than 6mm....that's
about 1/4". Zero setback is allowed if the finish is combustible.
P&L
Pretty much the same in usa and ditto in Philippines.

·
Safety Pin Member
2,255 Posts

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True, true... it is kind of stupid to use 1.5" octagon.

I've just done it several times before and wondered why they even bother having KO's on the side if any box connector there will interfere with 1/2" drywall.

The only reason I've used an offset is to keep the pipe from being below the plane of the studs.

·
Safety Pin Member
2,255 Posts
True, true... it is kind of stupid to use 1.5" octagon.

I've just done it several times before and wondered why they even bother having KO's on the side if any box connector there will interfere with 1/2" drywall.

The only reason I've used an offset is to keep the pipe from being below the plane of the studs.
They have 1 1/2" octagons with KO's because they aren't always
recessed. Could be attached to the bottom of an open truss or
surface mounted on a flat concrete ceiling as in storeage room
in the basement of a commercial building.
Cheers,
P&L

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
62,150 Posts
I believe 2 1/8" deep boxes have 3/4" from the front edge of the box to the 1/2" KO.

·
Premium Member
20,006 Posts

If in a ceiling, I would pipe into the back of the box. If it has to be a round box, pipe into the side of it and let the rockers and finishers do their job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.