Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cat chewed up my phone, he didn't like the angry birds ringtone,the neutral went to the center of the wye was not connected to anything else, failed to see the need for the neutral wire as the capacitors were rated at 66kV,so could have been wired delta like the transformer primarys.My dad,who did the original install,had written down in a book that it was something to do with the impedance and the Kvars of the supply.Learnt more from his old records than anything else.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Capacitors should be drained to "ground" so they don't hold charge when the motor sparky thinks the power is off.

Delta doesn't go near any ground.

Wye does. (Whether that was a Neutral or a Ground is a secondary point, and perhaps not critical.)

·
Banned
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wasn't aware that there was any Ward Leonard type motor control being used anywhere in the world. Talk about antiquate.
Never saw Ward Leonard stuff go down with a faulty VFD drive problem was leaky paper capacitors in the tube control system also fixed the PA with RF transmitting tubes as Final stage 3kv plate voltage good old frankenstien stuff.Output transformer had a short to ground caused by cracked rubber wiring was able to replace it.

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Cat chewed up my phone, he didn't like the angry birds ringtone,the neutral went to the center of the wye was not connected to anything else, failed to see the need for the neutral wire as the capacitors were rated at 66kV,so could have been wired delta like the transformer primarys.My dad,who did the original install,had written down in a book that it was something to do with the impedance and the Kvars of the supply.Learnt more from his old records than anything else.
Power factor correction???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.