Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping you guys can help shed some light on a situation for me. My father in law is flipping a house. He has been swapping out all the devices to update the look of the place. He ran into a couple of issues and asked if I'd come look at them for him.

One particular problem was a simple fix but I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the theory behind what was happening. In the kitchen there are two light fixtures, individually controlled by a stack switch, single pole single pole. He removed the old stack switch and installed a new one. Operated the lights and everything worked fine. He then heads over to a nearby bedroom, turns the light on in that room and a breaker trips. He reset the breaker and tried again and he said every time he did this, if the two kitchen lights were on and he turned the light on in this particular bedroom, the two kitchen lights would dim and blink and then the breaker would trip.

It took me just a quick second to realize he had two separate circuits feeding the stack switch. I broke the connecting tab on the switch, tied it all in and fine, no problems. Kitchen lights work and bedroom light does not trip any circuits when turned on. I thought about it for a while but couldn't come up with any satisfying conclusions as to why this circuit was tripping when the bedroom light was turned on. I checked the phasing of the two circuits on the stack switch and they are on separate phases of power. I also don't know why the circuits didn't trip right away when he originally tied the stack switch in as the yoke had not been broken and two hots on different phases were creating a direct short. Either he's not telling me everything here or I'm lost.... Help!! Thanks guys.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
because on one of the cks you have the load tied to the side of the switches with the jumper.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.