Electrician Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am new to the field and have a simple question. In Ontario, are you required to have an electrical license (Ex: 309A or 442A) to perform a temporary power shutdown at a commercial/multi-residential site? I am not the property owner. I am simply an electrical tech working for a company that has transformers installed on these properties.

Thank you,
24V

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I am probably not much help as I do not know the rules in Canada. May I ask why your company want's to have a shutdown? Will any electrical work be preformed?

·
Super Moderator
Elechicken!
3,762 Posts
In ontario, you are required to have a master electrical license (or have one on payroll) to own or run an Electrical Contracting Company (licenced electrical contractor).

What is the purpose of the shutdown?

Who owns the equipment?

Who owns the building?

What kind of shutdown is it (POCO disconnect & reconnect or just shutting off a main breaker)?

I will need more info.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,468 Posts
The only thing that comes to mind is the requirements for reconnect. You will need ESA to approve the reconnect before the utility will power back up and likely you cannot do that without a permit, to get a permit you need to be an LEC; has nothing to do with what class of license you hold.

Cheers
John

1 - 4 of 4 Posts