Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
1,247 Posts
I don't have first hand knowledge but I doubt they hold quite that much, but they do have very very large gearboxes in them. Company I worked at a few years ago was looking at getting into rebuilding the gearboxes and spindles and such for them as a offshoot of doing similarly large equipment rebuilds for mine equipment.

·
Registered
Install, troubleshoot, maintain, and upgrade electrical systems, plant utilities, PLC's, mechanical
1,050 Posts
I read there are up to 800 gallons of gear oil in one windmill, so 700 gallons seems reasonable.

Then there are another 1200 gallons of oil in the transformer the wind mill is connected too.

The blades are not recyclable and have to be buried.

They have diesel engines to get them moving and depend on electric heating of the gearbox.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,583 Posts
I worked at an open pit mine for 3 years. They used 20wt oil for the hyrdo systems in the winter and 30wt in the summer. I am talking motor oil. I did not have much to do with the rebuilding of the Cats so I can not speak beyond that. We did store thousands of gallons of fluids.

·
Registered
University maintenance
291 Posts
My grandfather was an electrical engineer at ontario hydro for many years and almost every year at christmas he brings up windmill gearboxes. He retired in the early 90s so it was a common problem until at least then.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
2,583 Posts
I sold 4 windmills for 120v power to the Navajo nation. Really remote spots. Power lines 20-50 miles away on a good day. I put the grease zerts at ground level knowing no one would get up on the mills to lubricate them. None of them survived much more than a year. They wanted the power just did not care about anything the white man did to help them. These were simple machines with the best bearings I could get at the time. Fortuantely I had a good attorney that got me hold harmless for the maintenance. In retro spec I should have thought about the maintenance part of the windmills. My wife did not want to be alone for a week at a time. She was not much of a camping creature.

There is like 8500 hours in a year we change oil in our trucks by mileage. 10000 miles divided by 60 mph is like 150 hours. I am waiting for the electromagnetic bearings, like the mag lift trains.

They say wind mills are green,,,,,

·
Registered
Industrial Electrician, Class A
2,825 Posts
[
Yes, he says 950 liters per tank ( one for old oil, one for new). For we Americans that’s 250 gallons.
It was stated that there are 800 gallons in a gearbox, so why would they make a service cart that would not hold a single gearbox,

QUOTE="wiz1997, post: 5573205, member: 210644"]
I read there are up to 800 gallons of gear oil in one windmill, so 700 gallons seems reasonable.

Then there are another 1200 gallons of oil in the transformer the wind mill is connected too.

The blades are not recyclable and have to be buried.

They have diesel engines to get them moving and depend on electric heating of the gearbox.
[/QUOTE]

·
Can't Remember
11,296 Posts
If we do nothing, don't evolve, try new things, nothing changes. It's not perfect. I bought a Tesla, have a solar system coming. There are problems with all of this, sustainability, recycling, material science, efficiency, environmental impact, politics. Let's try things, accept failure, and move forward.

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
3,670 Posts
If we do nothing, don't evolve, try new things, nothing changes. It's not perfect. I bought a Tesla, have a solar system coming. There are problems with all of this, sustainability, recycling, material science, efficiency, environmental impact, politics. Let's try things, accept failure, and move forward.
I think most of us agree. The problems are with too many special interest people who milk the programs which causes a lot of wasted money, abuse, fraud. I see solar leasing companies installing panels on houses that normally would never be approved. Millions of government dollars spent on public fast chargers that nobody is using. Anytime there is government money there is also fraud.

·
Can't Remember
11,296 Posts
Like needing to take classes to participate in govt subsidized charger infrastructure. Really? The last house I had was 1895 and the leasing company had no problem bolting them up to the roof. This time around, it's 1973/2008 and there are some structural mods that need to be done as well as utility approval. All covered within the lease agreement. At least the electric rate is frozen for the next 20yrs and I'll likely sell in 10. It's another experiment for me. I agree there is this battle of "green" and "green jobs" jobs that may lead gov't off track for the sake of these agendas. I'm opposed to the idea of solar only. I don't want to lose the ability to install solar or batteries if I want to.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts