Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with off peak electric, when they ripplle the service,or in other words,shut it off,is it contollable for individual residences,or is it a grid with multiple resedences under the control,thanks for any help

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
jrdplowing said:
with off peak electric, when they ripplle the service,or in other words,shut it off,is it contollable for individual residences,or is it a grid with multiple resedences under the control,thanks for any help
It's done in blocks here based on substations.

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
jrdplowing said:
hay backstay thanks for info,what power company, iam also in northern MN, we have beltrami elec coop
Minnesota Power, Lake Country Power, North Star Electric, Lake County Power & Electric, North Itasca Electric, And a bunch of city public utilities.

Most don't do the shut down themselves. That is handled by the supplier above most of the CoOp's. Minnesota Power is a generator, so they do their own.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
any opinions or info regarding the way they rippled the off peak for so many hrs,at times I had no off peak for almost 12hrs at a time,and the way the cost off propane went so high that it was costing people 1000.00 to fill up, and if you google propane there is supposed to be so much stored in the salt caverns right up in Canada, yet they are saying they have to ship it from texas, I believe the whole thing was planned,because of the fact that for years the propane companys weren't making the money they wanted, any info would be appreciated,example,cost of propane for my uncle in finland,MN was 6.00 a gal about a month ago

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
jrdplowing said:
any opinions or info regarding the way they rippled the off peak for so many hrs,at times I had no off peak for almost 12hrs at a time,and the way the cost off propane went so high that it was costing people 1000.00 to fill up, and if you google propane there is supposed to be so much stored in the salt caverns right up in Canada, yet they are saying they have to ship it from texas, I believe the whole thing was planned,because of the fact that for years the propane companys weren't making the money they wanted, any info would be appreciated,example,cost of propane for my uncle in finland,MN was 6.00 a gal about a month ago
What is the off peak rate? At $0.06 per kW electric is $14.80 per million Btu. Propane (95% eff) at $6 per gallon is $69.15 per million. Control on off peak in most areas is off at 7:00 AM and back on at 11:00 PM

Dual Fuel is a little more at $24 per million

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the info,very good info if accurate,but our off peak is rippled at all different hrs, and in the past was at 6-7-8 maybe 9 hrs at a time, but with the cost of propane, I think they have achieved what they wanted at the added expense of the homeowners, yes electric is a great deal at 325.00 to 400.00 a month during the winter, but now with the added expense of the propane at 5.00 to 6.00 a gal, last month, now it has come down thou

·
Registered
13,241 Posts
jrdplowing said:
thanks for the info,very good info if accurate,but our off peak is rippled at all different hrs, and in the past was at 6-7-8 maybe 9 hrs at a time, but with the cost of propane, I think they have achieved what they wanted at the added expense of the homeowners, yes electric is a great deal at 325.00 to 400.00 a month during the winter, but now with the added expense of the propane at 5.00 to 6.00 a gal, last month, now it has come down thou
Off peak here is a system with storage, 8 hours charging, 16 hours off. Dual fuel is a system with two or more heat sources but not wood.

My numbers are very accurate. I have a spread sheet with cost of fuel, efficacy that is selectable to whatever you want to compare.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts