Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if i were to get a job on an offshore oil rig as an electrician would those hours be accredited towards my apprenticeship?

·
IET
1,599 Posts
I was just wondering if i were to get a job on an offshore oil rig as an electrician would those hours be accredited towards my apprenticeship?
I'm an onshore oil guy, but I don't think there is many off shore apprentices. Most shifts are 7 days on, 7 days off. I think your best bet, would be to ask your apprenticeship. If you can get out there, it would be a great learning experience. But it is not every bodies cup of tea.
I haven't been, as I have a family, and the smart guys stay onshore. :whistling2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I may have an opportunity to do either onshore or offshore and i believe either one would be my cup of tea. i like the whole idea of working hard for as long as needed then getting a break at home. wether it be onshore or offshore its all the same to me as ill be working the entire time. when you say ask your apprenticeship, what do you mean by that? I have finished 900 schooling hours and have been working for a company 2 years this coming summer. where in california is the oil rig you work for rob roy? and thanks for the quick replies guys this is great

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
I may have an opportunity to do either onshore or offshore and i believe either one would be my cup of tea. i like the whole idea of working hard for as long as needed then getting a break at home. wether it be onshore or offshore its all the same to me as ill be working the entire time. when you say ask your apprenticeship, what do you mean by that? I have finished 900 schooling hours and have been working for a company 2 years this coming summer. where in california is the oil rig you work for rob roy? and thanks for the quick replies guys this is great
Check out Rob Roy's thread.. http://www.electriciantalk.com/f2/r...-life-oilfield-electrician-56985/#post1053162

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ill give them a call tomorrow. But thats kind of a bummer about it having to be a mass licensed guy signing off my hours. If received 8000 hours on a rig in texas and had a licensed guy sign off my hours shouldnt i be allowed to test anywhere for a license?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Thanks ill give them a call tomorrow. But thats kind of a bummer about it having to be a mass licensed guy signing off my hours. If received 8000 hours on a rig in texas and had a licensed guy sign off my hours shouldnt i be allowed to test anywhere for a license?
You can in Texas, and you may be able to reciprocate here.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im fairly new to the trade but day by day i am learning of how many rules and regulations go into just about every aspect of this trade and it is a lot!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts