Electrician Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what my options are for retrofitting this 6" new work (1986) Lightolier recessed to something like new baffle trim and LED lamp or the new trim/ led combo thing by Halo. There are (12) of them to update but here's a picture of one of them.

Attachments

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,936 Posts

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
I like the Sylvania's because the screw base isn't part of the LED/trim. The screw base is separate and has a little pigtail sticking out of it, you screw it into the fixture and then attach the LED/trim to the pigtail and push it up.

The Sylvania's are $50/each at Lowes, my supply house has them for $36.

·
Super Moderator
22,023 Posts
Guys, this cursing each other has got to stop. The main office has not been happy about all the fighting and the way people are relating to each other. Please stop the insults and curses. Thanks

Yes I removed a few posts

Reactions: dmxtothemax

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Guys, this cursing each other has got to stop. The main office has not been happy about all the fighting and the way people are relating to each other. Please stop the insults and curses. Thanks

Yes I removed a few posts
Dennis I totally understand. Can you give me an example in this thread?

·
Super Moderator
22,023 Posts
Dennis I totally understand. Can you give me an example in this thread?

Well I removed the ones with the vulgarity

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
The old lights don't look too bad !
Why do you need to replace them ?
Just a bit of a touch up with some paint on the trim,
New LED lamps, good as new !

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These Lightolier "new work" cans come with a frame and the can housing gets installed after the sheetrock's been installed. The bulb holder also attaches to the can during the trim out. I don't want to to paint them because I think that'll look like crap afterwards.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
I must have over a thousand Atlite A149 cans in the field that I could convert to LED's IF they made a product that fit perfectly...

Having an existing rim on the fixture and adding an insert with another rim is going to look like dog crap.. :(:(

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
I must have over a thousand Atlite A149 cans in the field that I could convert to LED's IF they made a product that fit perfectly...

Having an existing rim on the fixture and adding an insert with another rim is going to look like dog crap.. :(:(
That's what happens when you use a garbage off-brand product.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'll install mostly Halo. The hats are good, trims are readily available, and the built-in wago's save time in labor. New work, or old work, Halo wins out.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
I'll install mostly Halo. The hats are good, trims are readily available, and the built-in wago's save time in labor. New work, or old work, Halo wins out.
I like Halo myself but Lightolier edges them out for old work. For new work, Halo wins hands down. New work Lightolier cans are complete garbage.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Magnettica said:
Those are all I've ever used. You pretty much have to double check every factory connection though. It's like they have a six year old girl making them up at the plant

1 - 19 of 19 Posts