Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I came across something like this recently and have never seen anything like it:

The one I saw was from the 70's and in a bathroom, the top half controled the light, the bottom half for the fan. I think my old high school had some of these too. Has anyone seen these or know what they are called? Or know anything about them?

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,936 Posts
I've seen and installed similar ones. But none exactly like your picture.

Even a decora variety, up to four switches in one I believe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry the picture is so big. I did not know it was going to appear like that and I can't edit the post to re-size it now.

·
Administrator
EC
22,196 Posts

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
Sometimes you are limited in wall space
That.

Also, a lot of times it's easier to just drop a chain down to an existing switch box and catch it with a magnet, then pull a switch leg into the box and use a stacked switch.

If it's a plaster and lath wall, the last thing I want to do is cut out a single gang box and install a 2-gang.

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
No innuendo this time.:laughing:

Just agreeing changing a one gang to two gang in plaster and lathe sucks.

Ya know, as I typed that word I was thinking about that EXACT scene. :laughing: During my downtime I had a Scrubs marathon on Netflix so it was fresh in my memory.

·
Registered
108 Posts
We call them stack switches. Avoid when possible but when you have a kitchen light and a disposal switch and you have to set your box horizontal because of the cabinet..... They're handy.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
how are they being held in the box?. theres only two holes for the box screws, and each switch probably has two screws each.

You insert each device , switch / or receptacle into the mounting plate , then with a small screwdriver you pry the two indentations into the slots in the device .
That is what holds it into the mounting plate .
Then you mount it just like a normal switch or receptacle .

Some low voltage switches still come this way .

images.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts