Electrician Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this before but as the end of the year approaches I want to mention again, I have a large collection (with some missing ) NECs dating back to 1916 I want to unload.

I have offered to everyone in my shop but no takers.
Just no room at my new house

Anyone that would take care of these and not put them in the trash?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have room, and a nephew in his 3rd year apprenticeship. Would be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Owner and operator of a signatory shop
45 Posts
Could you post some pictures? I'm very interested in them, but I can't take them. What about donating them to your local union hall? Mine has a small museum at the entrance to the auditorium

·
Super Moderator
7,405 Posts
When I started as an inspector 30 years ago our then plumbing inspector (who was born in 1930) told me his first plumbing code book was quarter sheet size or half sheet size and just a dozen pages or so. Don't remember the exact number.

He was from Kentucky and started out when he was 12 years old. His tools were a shovel, a saw and a hammer. He dug and built outhouses. That's what plumbing was in Kentucky (in the area he lived in) in 1942.

So, on that 1916 NEC, what size are the sheets and how many pages is it?

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,652 Posts
When I started as an inspector 30 years ago our then plumbing inspector (who was born in 1930) told me his first plumbing code book was quarter sheet size or half sheet size and just a dozen pages or so. Don't remember the exact number.

He was from Kentucky and started out when he was 12 years old. His tools were a shovel, a saw and a hammer. He dug and build outhouses. That's what plumbing was in Kentucky (in the area he lived in) in 1942.

So, on that 1916 NEC, what size are the sheets and how many pages is it?
My 1920 NEC. 216 pages and about the size of my phone.
Canada didn’t have a code yet so we adopted the NEC. (Canadian code came out in 1921)

Gesture Font Wood Tree Art

Book Publication Font Rectangle Paper

Wood Natural material Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood

·
Band Member
DIYer Extrodinaire
7,721 Posts
The NECs are spoken for going to a electrician's safe house in Michigan.
Glad you found a good home for them.

I don't collect, but I think books like that need to stay around.

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
419 Posts
Good, someone took them and I didn't end up with more stuff. I wouldn't mind a couple of old code books to go along with the 27 and 48 electricians handbooks I have but I don't have room for more stuff.

·
Registered
340 Posts
From my collection it appears that the first rules and standards were published by the New York Underwriters 1881. Just 3 pages.
Font Screenshot Document Paper Parallel

By 1920 There were competing standards publications, before the NFPA took complete monopoly.

From the Department of Commerce, Government Printing Office, 366 Pages.
Publication Book Font Paper Paper product

And the NEC 1920, 216 Pages 1/4 size
Publication Book Font Paper product Paper

A Century later, the monopoly is complete. 901 Pages
Font Poster Movie Publication Book

1 - 15 of 15 Posts