Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an old subject but on a remodel I'm doing a old 50a 2 wire with wrapped ground was run. And the usual 3 wire with ground was run as a splice to extend the range to another location. The range is brand new with a 3 wire with ground whip coming off it. Back at the splice the only option is to tie the neutral and ground together. But still doesn't make sense. I've heard some new range ovens say you can tie them together. Same with dryers. Any clear solutions at the splice extension spot?

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I know this is an old subject but on a remodel I'm doing a old 50a 2 wire with wrapped ground was run. And the usual 3 wire with ground was run as a splice to extend the range to another location. The range is brand new with a 3 wire with ground whip coming off it. Back at the splice the only option is to tie the neutral and ground together. But still doesn't make sense. I've heard some new range ovens say you can tie them together. Same with dryers. Any clear solutions at the splice extension spot?
violation

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you tie the neutral and ground togethet the stove will work !
But it will not meet code requirements !
Under some circumstances would be dangerous.
You have no other option but to run 4 lines from the panel.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
If you tie the neutral and ground togethet the stove will work !
But it will not meet code requirements !
Under some circumstances would be dangerous.
You have no other option but to run 4 lines from the panel.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,311 Posts
By code you are supposed to run a 4-wire if you're extending the circuit.
If that is not possible without opening up walls, I still wouldn't tie the ground/neutral together at the splice. I would just leave the ground capped off at the splice and at the receptacle. I would change the receptacle and whip to a 3-wire, then leave the bond strap on in the range.

Not exactly code, but it would be safer than tying them together at the splice.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
It will work but it wont be to code. And if that splice is not made well it will be really dangerous.

BTW, is the neutral your tieing into at least 10 guage? Insulated or SEU cable? If its a bare ground then its a no go even from when it was installed.

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
I had a customer call me the other day for a NEW circuit install for her new stove which, the appliance dealer sold a 3 wire cord with

She stated that the appliance dealer claimed it was all she needed

I claimed i'd have to change it out to a 4wire for a complaint install

This sort of undermining is exactly what is not needed, but i find it true with so many peripheral sales of electrical goods, hot tubs, genny's etc

And this is where my tax $$$'s should allow me to have them call the state inspectors dept for clarification

~CS~

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
I had a customer call me the other day for a NEW circuit install for her new stove which, the appliance dealer sold a 3 wire cord with

She stated that the appliance dealer claimed it was all she needed

I claimed i'd have to change it out to a 4wire for a complaint install

This sort of undermining is exactly what is not needed, but i find it true with so many peripheral sales of electrical goods, hot tubs, genny's etc

And this is where my tax $$$'s should allow me to have them call the state inspectors dept for clarification

~CS~

People who work in retail stores have no clue. Ive personally heard guys in the very departments they specialize in at HD give lectures to DIYs where it was clear Joe blow knew more than from when he left.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
By code you are supposed to run a 4-wire if you're extending the circuit.
If that is not possible without opening up walls, I still wouldn't tie the ground/neutral together at the splice. I would just leave the ground capped off at the splice and at the receptacle. I would change the receptacle and whip to a 3-wire, then leave the bond strap on in the range.

Not exactly code, but it would be safer than tying them together at the splice.
Yeah might work ok, but at the range you would might not have the strap ground (frame), just the neutral, making it possibly ungrounded. Outside running a new 4 wire, i don't know if there is a real good answer. Does the code spell it out converting 3 to 4 wire, or converting splices in between? if so where?

·
Registered
Electrician
4,311 Posts
Yeah might work ok, but at the range you would might not have the strap ground (frame), just the neutral, making it possibly ungrounded. Outside running a new 4 wire, i don't know if there is a real good answer. Does the code spell it out converting 3 to 4 wire, or converting splices in between? if so where?
You said the range was a brand new one, so it will come with the strap. Usually the strap is installed/bonded and you remove it if you have a 4-wire circuit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts