Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
It is a piece of crap. They are all over here in so cal, if its a pushmatic like it looks. Though I've never seen a pushmatic with a main like that. I've gone on numerous calls that there breaker wouldn't reset. Showed up and found these panels. More times than not the insides of the breaker had just turned to dust. Usually show the owner that and they go for a service upgrade.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Here is an excerpt from our service manual.

• · Pushmatic circuit breakers are a 1950’s design?
  • · The manufacturer stopped production of Pushmatic in the early 1980’s
  • · Pushmatic Bulldog Circuit Breaker & Electrical Panel Possible Safety & Operating Concerns

• · Pushmatic & Bulldog circuit breakers use a less reliable trip mechanism; a thermal breaker design with no magnetic trip mechanism. Modern breakers incorporate both magnetic and thermal tripping mechanisms, increasing safety and the likelihood that they will function properly in the event of an overload or short circuit.
  • · Operating difficulty: The design of the breaker is such that, over time, they become very stiff and difficult to operate or reset.
  • · State of breaker On-Off unclear:
  • · Push-Matic breakers have an indicator flag showing whether the circuit is on or off. Many times, on old Push-Matic breakers, this on/off flag will stay fixed in either position, giving you a false indication of the condition of the circuit. The internal flagging mechanism that indicates the state of the circuit breaker as "on", "Tripped", "off" fails inside of individual circuit breakers, making it difficult for a building occupant or owner to know the condition of the breaker - in our opinion this is a significant potential shock hazard

But they did have bolt on breakers...
·

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
It is a piece of crap. They are all over here in so cal, if its a pushmatic like it looks. Though I've never seen a pushmatic with a main like that. I've gone on numerous calls that there breaker wouldn't reset. Showed up and found these panels. More times than not the insides of the breaker had just turned to dust. Usually show the owner that and they go for a service upgrade.
Those panels were the best in their day. Bolt on breakers and built solid. Those definitely are outlasting the Murrays of the 80s and 70s.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Here is an excerpt from our service manual.

• · Pushmatic circuit breakers are a 1950’s design?
  • · The manufacturer stopped production of Pushmatic in the early 1980’s
  • · Pushmatic Bulldog Circuit Breaker & Electrical Panel Possible Safety & Operating Concerns

• · Pushmatic & Bulldog circuit breakers use a less reliable trip mechanism; a thermal breaker design with no magnetic trip mechanism. Modern breakers incorporate both magnetic and thermal tripping mechanisms, increasing safety and the likelihood that they will function properly in the event of an overload or short circuit.
  • · Operating difficulty: The design of the breaker is such that, over time, they become very stiff and difficult to operate or reset.
  • · State of breaker On-Off unclear:
  • · Push-Matic breakers have an indicator flag showing whether the circuit is on or off. Many times, on old Push-Matic breakers, this on/off flag will stay fixed in either position, giving you a false indication of the condition of the circuit. The internal flagging mechanism that indicates the state of the circuit breaker as "on", "Tripped", "off" fails inside of individual circuit breakers, making it difficult for a building occupant or owner to know the condition of the breaker - in our opinion this is a significant potential shock hazard

But they did have bolt on breakers...
·
Is that from inspect a pedia?

·
Slave to the grind
623 Posts
Those panels were the best in their day. Bolt on breakers and built solid. Those definitely are outlasting the Murrays of the 80s and 70s.
I agree. I can't begin to guess how many of these I have changed out over the years that were in pristine condition, rocking along just fine...and probably would have for many years to come....especially if they were installed in a dry area of the home. The ones that were installed in the old, damp basements are usually the ones I see causing problems.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
Just had a customer with a pushmatic tripping , didn't want the panel change so I ordered him a new 15 amp breaker for $50 bucks cause the other one just wouldn't stay on , something inside the breaker wouldn't let it say on
At least they failed in the off position. Most breakers of that vintage got stuck in the on:no:

It is from our company service manual. The information was collected from a variety of sources.

Just looked like the inspect a pedia sight wrote it up, why I was wondering.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.