21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
It is sold in every lumber store in Hawaii.
Seriously? A two part wood molding made to hold two individual wires? What do they use it for? Have they added a 3rd slot for a ground? How do they terminate it? is it code? Sorry, so many questions.

Frank

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,013 Posts
Seriously? A two part wood molding made to hold two individual wires? What do they use it for? Have they added a 3rd slot for a ground? How do they terminate it? is it code? Sorry, so many questions.

Frank
It was used for running surface knob and tube . No ground

• Wow
Reactions: GladMech

·
Registered
226 Posts
It was used for running surface knob and tube . No ground
Yes, I know when and how it was used. I even have a display of it in use. I was trying to find out why it is still sold in every lumber store in Hawaii. Perhaps it was a joke I didn't get?

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
Yes, I know when and how it was used. I even have a display of it in use. I was trying to find out why it is still sold in every lumber store in Hawaii. Perhaps it was a joke I didn't get?
Use your imagination. The molding they sell there can fit romex.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,829 Posts
I have a wiremold bender. They actually made one. Don't know if they still do. I will look for it.
MDShunk has posted pics of them on here in the past, he has a couple different types.

I have used the rag and bender method with decent results.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,829 Posts
Not a joke, it is used often there due to the panel type construction of many original style homes.

Macmikeman has discussed this many times in various threads.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
33,456 Posts
It's actually an expensive wiring method. Running some emt would be half the cost , but the wood mold is pretty fast to install, especially when they came out with Passload finish nail guns, and now they have cordless battery finish nail guns . Inspectors around here don't even blink at seeing it used, whether it is for single wall houses, or the now mandatory double wall construction (exterior floods on exposed soffit being a major usage.) It looks twenty times better when installed properly than any wire mold job, or emt, or any other exposed method the NEC allows. macmikeman is a wizard with the stuff.

Reactions: telsa

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fault Current, you can buy White Gas at most any service station in the US.

White gas meant it did not contain lead. Leaded gasoline had an orange color to it. Amoco and Mobile had white (unleaded) premium back in the 50s 60s. Now, every company has unleaded! Regular will do fine.

Frank DuVal

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Fault Current, you can buy White Gas at most any service station in the US.

White gas meant it did not contain lead. Leaded gasoline had an orange color to it. Amoco and Mobile had white (unleaded) premium back in the 50s 60s. Now, every company has unleaded! Regular will do fine.

Frank DuVal
Coleman camping fuel is basically the same.

·
Registered
14,469 Posts
I still have all the tools. Soldering coppers, ladles, dippers, blowtorch with hook for coppers and the melting pot. Not sure if they still work, where the hell do I buy white gas?

Ceiling splices you could leave the bare splices pointed down, with rosin flux applied. Then heat up the lead in the pot and fill your little ladle. Take the little dipping ladle around and dip all the splices. Same for any wall boxes that you could access. For all the rest, heat up the copper suspended in front of the blowtorch, and hit as many as you could before it cooled off.

Never, never forget to preheat all your ladles and the pot before dipping the ladle. The ladle will absorb water, so will the pot, and and if you put the cold ladle in the molten lead it will explode, blowing molten lead all to hell. Good way to burn the hell out of you.

Splicing 500 MCM you would sister the wires and serve them up with some solid #12. Then heat the splice and add the solder, not wire solder but lead soldering bars. Haven't seen a soldering bar for ages come to think of it.

Then it was get out the varnished cambric, rubber tape, putty, and mummify the splice. Wrap with that damn friction tape and you are done. Cheaper than kearney's at the time. But then a man's time was not worth much and materials were expensive, now it's the other way around.
White gas = kerosene.

The name comes from the fact that it's not dyed. ( Dyed = tax status. )

Unleaded gasoline is too touchy... too prone to flash burns.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There was some talk about Western Union splices in a recent thread, something a lot of people never heard of now.

I was looking for an image file I had of a poster with a bunch of old school splices illustrated, I like reading about that stuff. I'll use it in a pinch with speaker wire, low voltage lighting, and other stuff.

I did not find that poster but did find a picture of a splice I don't remember seeing before, a three wire variation of the Western Union splice

from http://reference.insulators.info/publications/view/?id=9630

You basically just twist a short piece of wire in with the spliced wires and make a Western Union splice. I tried it with some scrap, it does clearly make a stronger splice. I'll probably use this in the future with small low voltage wires, splicing 18 gauge or smaller, to make a more durable connection.
I remember Electrical shop class in Junior High School. Would have been late 60's and this is exactly how they taught us. I think we used rosin core solder and electrical soldering iron or gun.
I had an old electrician work for me for a while a few years ago and he was tinning stranded wire ends. I showed him my new fangled wire ferrules and crimping tool but old habits die hard.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts