Electrician Talk banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Modérateur
8,692 Posts
I showed one of our utility crews the half hitch knot for pulling cable.
They couldn't believe the pulling strength that it has

Old Dogs = 2 - Puppies = still zip
Chalk one up the list .,,

just got done teaching noobs about old school underground splices and they never knew the old school underground splice at all ( 4160 volt UG cable splice )

Old Dogs = 3 - Puppies = still empty coconut shell ( zero )

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I might go out on my own just so I can start using lever nuts. None of my employers want to use them.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,829 Posts
They are what dreams are made of.

FWIW, I probably wouldn't use them all that often in commercial new construction.
More for retrofitting lights and that type work?

·
Banned
39,205 Posts
More for retrofitting lights and that type work?
In commercial new construction it's almost all new #12's. They will be cut long and have a large box to be folded into. I can splice them the conventional way with a wirenut quickly and easily.

Levernuts are great for resi service work when dealing with short existing wires and small boxes. They are also good for connecting residential style lights because they can be clipped over the wire with 1 hand while you hold the light with the other hand.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
In commercial new construction it's almost all new #12's. They will be cut long and have a large box to be folded into. I can splice them the conventional way with a wirenut quickly and easily.

Levernuts are great for resi service work when dealing with short existing wires and small boxes. They are also good for connecting residential style lights because they can be clipped over the wire with 1 hand while you hold the light with the other hand.
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Exceptional splice when done correctly and soldered and heat shrinked.
I can't tell you how many failed butt crimp connectors I have replaced on boats DC systems over the years.

·
Registered
33 Posts
White gas = kerosene.

The name comes from the fact that it's not dyed. ( Dyed = tax status. )

Unleaded gasoline is too touchy... too prone to flash burns.
Um, sorry but no Kerosene is not white gas. Just smell them and you will notice the difference. Further test is the ignition factor. Coal oil vs. un-leaded gasoline. White gas is sold in small containers in your camping stores. Do not put un-leaded in a stove designed for Kerosene.

Have a great day.

·
Registered
65 Posts
White gas = kerosene.

The name comes from the fact that it's not dyed. ( Dyed = tax status. )

Unleaded gasoline is too touchy... too prone to flash burns.
Not for nothing but farm diesel fuel is dyed, so farmers don’t use it in their vehicles. This is to prevent tax scammers by fining people that use it in their trucks actually a severe fine involved. Coleman fuel is a refined unleaded. Nowadays the Coleman lamps are designed for unleaded or camp fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ooops...Navyguy
I really do not think that the knot is designed to actually support any pendant device. It is strain relief only, There must be some other mechanical hangar and stress device to hang the pendant if it is heavy. The newer pendants can be so light that specially designed cords can be the support and set screws or other cord clamp devices used to hold the dimension. Freaked me out the first time I used one of those.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It is so funny that I ran into this topic yesterday and today was in an attic with excellent examples of these splices in still active knob and tube. Even more interesting was the the (no deceased) owner was very mechanically inclined and had built additions to this house as well as added electrical to it. In most cases he actually used these splices to splice Romex wires to the KT wiring.
Will be returning in a week or two to begin rewiring all knob and tube. When I do that I am going to see about cutting out samples of the splices to look at more comfortably.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
147 Posts
I thought those old splices were generally dipped in a solder pot? I know one guy that I can ask, he did solder connections back in the 50s. However he is not a huge fan of telephones and not a fan of computers at all so I'll have to either write him a letter or wait until I run into him to ask :)
I apprenticed under an electrician who did dip solder splices in 4squares that were not accessable in the down stairs ceiling of a 2 story house. That was about 1994. Since then I have learned it is illegal. However, I have had occasion to drive by that house from time to time, and it is still standing

41 - 57 of 57 Posts