Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
When I was a small child my father had the panel replaced and a few new circuits added. I watched every move and was fascinated when the electrician used the old two wires to pull 4 wires from the house to the detached garage. He was there for about 4 days. Each day as soon as he left I would open the fuse box, remove the inner cover, and study everything he had done. That week I learned about wire size and appropriate fuses, the importance of a safety ground and how a 3 way switch worked. That year for the science fair I displayed a board with 3 and 4 way switches using knife switches so people could see what was happening. (Battery powered) I borrowed a book from the library and let my dad think that was where I learned it.
I lived

Frank

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
fdew said:
When I was a small child my father had the panel replaced and a few new circuits added. I watched every move and was fascinated when the electrician used the old two wires to pull 4 wires from the house to the detached garage. He was there for about 4 days. Each day as soon as he left I would open the fuse box, remove the inner cover, and study everything he had done. That week I learned about wire size and appropriate fuses, the importance of a safety ground and how a 3 way switch worked. That year for the science fair I displayed a board with 3 and 4 way switches using knife switches so people could see what was happening. (Battery powered) I borrowed a book from the library and let my dad think that was where I learned it. I lived Frank
I just shed a tear bro

·
Fond of three phase
1,649 Posts
When I was a small child my father had the panel replaced and a few new circuits added. I watched every move and was fascinated when the electrician used the old two wires to pull 4 wires from the house to the detached garage. He was there for about 4 days. Each day as soon as he left I would open the fuse box, remove the inner cover, and study everything he had done. That week I learned about wire size and appropriate fuses, the importance of a safety ground and how a 3 way switch worked. That year for the science fair I displayed a board with 3 and 4 way switches using knife switches so people could see what was happening. (Battery powered) I borrowed a book from the library and let my dad think that was where I learned it.
I lived

Frank
Did you become an electrician?
In the mid-50's, our old family home was rewired from a 30 amp,120 volt, two wire service that was installed in the mid-20's.
The electrical contractor installed two Federal Noarc 60 amp fuse boxes and outside meters. Also a separate meter for the lower flat electric water heater. Also a three wire service drop.
I would open the panel door and study the wiring scheme. There was one circuit that had a green wire for the hot. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Did you become an electrician?
No, You guys work to hard (Grin) I worked for Simplex and then a local competitor for 10 years so I worked with electricians. I am on this forum because I collect old outlets fixtures and switches. I display some of them at local engine shows connected to a antique Kohler Light Plant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.