Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,589 Posts
They are tamper proof screws. Last time I saw them was back in the 90's. They were used as trim screws on switch and receptacle plates and also on surface mounted fluorescent fixtures. I believe I had ordered the lights thru Hubble. I have the screwdriver at home. That tip isn't in the average 100 piece bit set. But I believe you can order the driver thru McMaster Carr.

edit: the fixture screws were recessed in the lens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are hundreds of them in on this school job. I can't find a tamper proof drive to remove them and if they are thumb screws they are coutersunk where you have to work at it to budge them. I'll check again on McMaster Carr but I didn't see it the first time.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Wow that's funny! We had those screws in the pediatric wing of our hospital, when we were upgrading the data drops we couldn't remove the screws on the cover plates. Long story short, we couldn't find a removal tool, and we just drilled out every last one.

·
Coffee drinking member
14,589 Posts
WhatIsThis said:
There are hundreds of them in on this school job. I can't find a tamper proof drive to remove them and if they are thumb screws they are coutersunk where you have to work at it to budge them. I'll check again on McMaster Carr but I didn't see it the first time.
Here is the screwdriver.
I looked in the newer McMaster Carr catalog just before I left work and didn't see those screws. I'm sure that's were I bought a few hundred back in 98/99.

The drivers stripped quickly when the screws were corroded or painted in place.
An easy out and new screws might be the best option.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hey, thank you for the pictures and PM but I can't reply yet (under post limit).

It looks like we will just be doing them by force and replacing them afterwards. I was hoping to have a local option or at least figure out what the heck they were called, name brand or something.

·
Coffee drinking member
14,589 Posts
FlyingSparks said:
Wow that's funny! We had those screws in the pediatric wing of our hospital, when we were upgrading the data drops we couldn't remove the screws on the cover plates. Long story short, we couldn't find a removal tool, and we just drilled out every last one.
The Pediatric and Psychiatric wards is were I first encountered them also. The hospital was built in 1960. But getting screwdrivers was never a problem for me.

I'll sell ya mine for,,,, hmmm,,, let's see.
How much did you say is in your customers bank account??

·
Coffee drinking member
14,589 Posts
WhatIsThis said:
Hey, thank you for the pictures and PM but I can't reply yet (under post limit). I will give them a call tomorrow but it looks like we will just be doing them by force and replacing them afterwards now. I was hoping to have a local option or at least figure out what the heck they were called, name brand or something.
Your welcome. I figured you couldn't reply yet. I think the magic number of posts is 8.

I don't remember the name, but tomorrow I'll have more time to look thru some old catalogs.
There is no name left on the handle for me to read.
Also one of the old timers will be in an I can ask him. There are very few of us old guys left were I work.

·
Coffee drinking member
14,589 Posts
WhatIsThis said:
Ha, you know that if you sold that to me for any amount of money you would need one on the next job and not be able to find it. thank you for the info though,at least now I know there is a tool for it
But you could double your money selling it back to me.

It's like a group of poker players that get together every week. The stakes get higher, but the cash stays in the group, floating back and forth.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The Pediatric and Psychiatric wards is were I first encountered them also. The hospital was built in 1960. But getting screwdrivers was never a problem for me.

I'll sell ya mine for,,,, hmmm,,, let's see.
How much did you say is in your customers bank account??
Haha, I don't work for them anymore. It was actually a huge project to upgrade the data, the plan was: run new cat6 in and out in 7 days. Those screws and some other issues made the project last two weeks.

We had to work around the patients too, which is always annoying. It's was redeeming to have a cancer kid interested in what we were doing, we let him "help out." The little things (like making this kid happy) is what makes life amazing. The child unfortunately died shortly after we wrapped the project up.

·
Coffee drinking member
14,589 Posts
FlyingSparks said:
Haha, I don't work for them anymore. It was actually a huge project to upgrade the data, the plan was: run new cat6 in and out in 7 days. Those screws and some other issues made the project last two weeks. We had to work around the patients too, which is always annoying. It's was redeeming to have a cancer kid interested in what we were doing, we let him "help out." The little things (like making this kid happy) is what makes life amazing. The child unfortunately died shortly after we wrapped the project up.
That's sad about the child.
I was permanently reassigned to our hospital back in 90. I didn't want to be the house electricians there forever.
But late one night I had a call in for the old nurse call system. I spent a few hours searching for the problem and was about to give up.
I walked past a room and a little girl was ringing a small hand bell to call a nurse. Her hands were wrapped after bing burned.
Needless to say I spent the rest of the night repairing the old vacuum tube call system.
Spent the next 10 years as the house mouse there.

·
Coffee drinking member
14,589 Posts
WhatIsThis said:
Hey, thank you for the pictures and PM but I can't reply yet (under post limit). It looks like we will just be doing them by force and replacing them afterwards. I was hoping to have a local option or at least figure out what the heck they were called, name brand or something.

I found this link for Columbia Lighting. Now owned by Hubble.

http://www.columbialighting.com/

I seem to think that Columbia was the original fixtures we had. I don't remember, it's been years since I've worked there.

I would swing by the old hospital and check the prints, but,,,,

It went bye bye last summer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.