Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was at a doctors building removing the time clock for outside lighting and adding a photocell.

Was pulling wire through the conduits to get upto the main floor so I could take it outside.
After lines are pulled in I went downstairs to do final connections and close up all the junction boxes. After closer examination I discovered that some if the wires were cracking up exposing the conductors. I'm just glad I didn't get a short while pulling through the conduit with my fish tape.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
Prepare for the flaming. You will be scolded for pushing a fish tape through a conduit with energized conductors.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ponyboy said:
Prepare for the flaming. You will be scolded for pushing a fish tape through a conduit with energized conductors.
Lol, was thinking of that just as I was posting. :)

·
Registered
31,849 Posts
So edit your post to make it say LOOK WHAT I FOUND TODAY as I replaced a time clock.

I have seen this before, what is your next step.

·
Registered
942 Posts
OK Dan we've all made mistakes, that adds to our experience. And experience helps us not make more mistakes.

So, what's your next move?

We all make mistakes - and I will only punish those who don't learn from their mistakes.

Ever do any post mortem / failure analysis? We use them to develop M&P's (method of procedure) to ensure we don't make the same mistake in the future.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seemed to just a bad roll? Maybe they left it out in the weather?
All the other conductors were good and pliable.

Would like to get a fiberglass fish tape.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've some nasty pics before of people feeding into a live panel with a steel fish tape. Not a good combination :(

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
It seemed to just a bad roll? Maybe they left it out in the weather?
All the other conductors were good and pliable.

Would like to get a fiberglass fish tape.
you will find a lot of insulation like this if the conductors have exceeded temp or been exposed to too much sunlight over time.

i use a nylon tubing type fishtape with plastic tips (greenlee)
requires a bit of gentle handling but slides easily in conduit even with
previously installed conductors

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have never seen wire inside a panel do that. I cannot thing of any reason that should happen except the possibility the wire is a counterfeit of some kind?
I have seen platic fail like that but out of the sun and insode a panel? never. it looks like defective wire insulation to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts