Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 45 year old heavy equipment operator that needs a career change. I am interested in embarking on an electrician apprenticeship, but I am wondering what the perception is out there about older apprentices. Are employers hesitant to take on an older apprentice? I am willing to work up north until I get my 3rd or 4th year, then I hope to get work here in the Elk Valley (BC). I am in good shape and am eager to learn. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
420 Posts
powderinferno said:
I am a 45 year old heavy equipment operator that needs a career change. I am interested in embarking on an electrician apprenticeship, but I am wondering what the perception is out there about older apprentices. Are employers hesitant to take on an older apprentice? I am willing to work up north until I get my 3rd or 4th year, then I hope to get work here in the Elk Valley (BC). I am in good shape and am eager to learn. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!
When I was in my apprenticeship we had mixed ages from 18-40s in CA, lots of journeymen out there have there card but end up going back to complete there schooling hours. This is for non union apprentiship, union might be different.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hardest thing for older guys is the schooling, not the work. If you're weak on math you might have to take some night courses.

·
Registered
742 Posts
ACA said:
Hardest thing for older guys is the schooling, not the work. If you're weak on math you might have to take some night courses.
I find this funny. Again the generalization that older people will have more trouble. I was 45 when I finished my last round of school and finished top of the class.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I find this funny. Again the generalization that older people will have more trouble. I was 45 when I finished my last round of school and finished top of the class.
Speaking from experience from the people I've worked with, this has typically been the case. Don't take it personally, I don't even know who you are.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would think you are nearing the later stages of the ideal window, that being said I'm not at all a fan of taking in teen age applicants either. In my limited experience brains is better than Braun in your total career and having already lived and worked you will have an advantage over a fresh out of high school kid who have the tendency to be very nieve. My ideal applicant is mid twenties physically capable and someone looking for a career not just a job

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi I'm in a similar situation but of course somewhat older but recently acquired an electrical engineering technician diploma and still finding it tough to find anyone to take on a first year apprentice so... not sure how you're finding it but at least you have had a trade occupation I have not but also interested in doing also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in a similar situation, weak on math but also completed a two year diploma electrical engineering technician program and still finding it difficult to find anyone even hiring a first year apprentice regardless of age?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts