Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) When did it become code to gang all the disco's together at a service? I was at a home recently with 3 meters but only one apt had an outside disco, sounds like it was done late70's or early 80's.

2)When did interconnecting all the smokes & co's together become code? Recently I was at a home built in early 2000 with only 14/2 ran between smokes.

3)What year did the 6ft rule for unfused conductors come into play?

4)How long have exit signs & emergency lights been required at the exit doors in commercial occupancy? See ALOT of this missing in strip mall shops that have been used and remodeled frequently since they were built. Figure by now they'd just about all be up due to CO inspections, but it seems like this is the first thing I point out when pricing a small store remodel.

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is a local code /amendment.
Huh, no kidding....I was positve that was code. It wouldnt have even occurred to me that was something local, I see guys on here post plenty of pics where their service wire is no longer than 6ft between the meter and MB or disco.

Oh well, how about the other 3 questions you could answer for me. :D:laughing:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Interconnected , hardwired smoke detectors , and exit signs and emergency egress lighting are considered life safety codes , and you won't find these in the NEC ( NFPA 70 ) try NFPA 72 or NFPA 101 . I do believe interconnected smokes in residential can also be a local code thing too .

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
One thing to keep in mind here - just because a code rule was on the books is no guarantee that it was ever followed or enforced. Many times I'll see local practice that trumps actual written codes, with that local practice being in direct violation of written codes.

And finally, when pondering existing violations with no plausible explanation as to how it was possible to occur, there's always that paper bag full of cash that have caused many inspectors to look the other way. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One thing to keep in mind here - just because a code rule was on the books is no guarantee that it was ever followed or enforced. Many times I'll see local practice that trumps actual written codes, with that local practice being in direct violation of written codes.

And finally, when pondering existing violations with no plausible explanation as to how it was possible to occur, there's always that paper bag full of cash that have caused many inspectors to look the other way. :rolleyes:
Yeah, I know people do crazy stuff all the time and it goes undetected, but most of these questions are about older practices that went out sometime when the new codes came through.

Just looking for some rough time-lines so Ill have a better understanding of when everything changed.

·
neutral member
ELECTRICIAN!!!
2,159 Posts
Yeah, I know people do crazy stuff all the time and it goes undetected, but most of these questions are about older practices that went out sometime when the new codes came through.

Just looking for some rough time-lines so Ill have a better understanding of when everything changed.
In some cases, code did not change, enforcement did.

I wouldn't be surprised if the disconnect rules you are asking about were code for the last 100 years?

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,341 Posts
ReadyDave got it, the grouping of service disconnecting means has been in the code for a very long time- think early k+t wiring days.

Reactions: MHElectric

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Back in 2002 I was able to feed two individual main breaker panels in separate units of a multi family dwelling.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Residential smoke detector interconnection - International Building Code 907.2.11.3. Interconnection has been around for at least 4 code cycles.

Exit signs have always been required, non electric signs were OK. The IBC has fooled with the requirements worse than the NEC. They have to be illuminated nowdays. Read IBC Section 1011.

Reactions: MHElectric
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.