Electrician Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the story behind all these energy management systems from the 80s-90s that looked like they were all done by the power company? Usually I see them on either the water heaters or A/C units.

None of them look code compliant and it's anybody's guess whether their still working or not.....and did they ever work in the first place?

Ran into another one this morning for a water heater. Why was this such a big thing back in the day? And why is nobody doing this anymore?

Attachments

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
1,569 Posts
It was the hot ticket around here in the late 80’s to the early 90’s with water heaters. The units were the property of AEP later and of Ohio Power and Columbus and Southern earlier. The idea was off peak nighttime water heating and shedding load during daytime. The units were installed by approved power company installers, plumbers.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
31,041 Posts
Once in a while I run across the water heater ones installed by HECO. They are sealed with the same tag as the meter is, meaning you "could" get into trouble cutting that tag off , but I have done it anyways, because........... They are always done wrong. Blatent code violations in exposed wiring by the Poco. I toss em in the can. Fix the mess. Move on.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Amazing that it was so popular for so long. What caused it to stop?

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
710 Posts
I thought that stuff was popular during Carter's administration when energy costs were high. They had us under lighting offices and parking lots to the point it was below suggested lighting levels. Here back in the 1970s +/-, every 4-light 40 watt fluorescent had to have two switches. 1/2 light and full light. I can see problems down the road with the present day energy codes. Half the receptacles have to be on a timer and daylight harvesting. Occupancy sensors. Lower foot candle standards. I am in an office building now where they replaced the luminaires to LED. It is 30 foot candles and I cannot read a thing let alone punch down the Cat 6 wall jacks. What happens when they re-arrange the furniture and the computers are on the " controlled" receptacle? We have water saving sinks where you cannot wash your hands properly. A small trickle of water comes out for 6 seconds only when you put your hands under the faucet. Toilet that do not flush completely and the waterless pee pots. How does that work? But, we still can dump 20,000 gallons of water on the lawn even when it is raining out.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
1,569 Posts
Amazing that it was so popular for so long. What caused it to stop?
Around here it seems that the payoff to the power company wasn’t what they thought it would be, and the maintenance cost on their water heaters were too great.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are any of these systems still being managed by the power companies?

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As far as I know it was a failed experiment that AEP abandoned at least 25 years ago.
AEP isn't the only one.

I work in an area with 3 power companies. You see these installations in all 3 areas. Plus outside areas too.

And from what I understand, it's prevalent all across the U.S

·
Premium Member
Pres., GPS Timers
6,168 Posts
They had that stuff around here quite a bit. I know of many which were installed but thrown out during replacement or remodeling and the credits continued on the accounts forever. Probably still paying out. It's like $9 and change per month to be on the "on call" voluntary program.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They had that stuff around here quite a bit. I know of many which were installed but thrown out during replacement or remodeling and the credits continued on the accounts forever. Probably still paying out. It's like $9 and change per month to be on the "on call" voluntary program.
That's kinda what I suspected. Nothing but bull crap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts