Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a extra full day lined up for today and instead woke up with a horrible stomach flu. I got everything rescheduled but I'm kind of unhappy about having to do it. This is the first time since I've been in business I've had to stay home sick and its frustrating to be shut down and stuck on the couch.

Hope everyone is having a better day than me haha

·
Registered
Electrician
4,311 Posts
So I had a extra full day lined up for today and instead woke up with a horrible stomach flu. I got everything rescheduled but I'm kind of unhappy about having to do it. This is the first time since I've been in business I've had to stay home sick and its frustrating to be shut down and stuck on the couch.

Do you have any 1-man shows that you are friends with?
Call them and see if they can cover for you.

·
Registered
290 Posts
We fill in for a couple one man shops when they are unable to show up for customers if they can't reschedule. We give them a discount rate and in return they help us out if we need a extra guy when they are slow and we are busy. It's not perfect and requires trust but seems to work on that rare occasion.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
30,985 Posts
I don't think you'd want me at your house right now lol
Truer words have never been spoken here at this forum. :thumbsup:

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
No job is more important than you feeling 100%...

People will get over it and go on with their lives if they have to wait a few days longer..

NOBODY can keep everybody happy 100% of the time.. hope you feel better..

·
Banned
1,073 Posts
There's been a few times where I had to reschedule at the last minute, usually due to weather. I remember 2 customers who were kinda snippy about it, I guess I can't blame them if they made arrangements to take off of work.

It's just the way it goes. They will get over it, and if they don't, screw 'em.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
It sucks, I know. You feel like you're skipping school or something. When I got bit by a black widow I was down for 2 weeks. Most customers understood. But some didn't. I don't miss those customers.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Hope you feel better...my health has taken a pounding last few years...lost work...and never really back to 100% but still pullin away....love to tell you it gets better as we get older but.........it don,t :laughing:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was home sick 2 days last week, it sucks to sit at home and think about all the stuff you could be getting done! Hope you feel better soon!

·
Banned
39,722 Posts
I can't stand sittin' around sick , looking at all the 'projects'

take your vitamins & heal fast hippie

~CS~

·
Registered
127 Posts
Today only I'm offering free bonus germs and puke on your choice of floor or yard
Floor or yard? Always good to offer the customer a variety of options.

For future reference I'd set up a deal to get someone to cover in these type of cases. Odds are you're going to get sick again so be prepared.

·
Bababoee
9,187 Posts
I give my guys 4 sick days a year. It happens, everyone gets sick..before I had kids I almost never got sick..now I will get something everyonce and a while...

·
Premium Member
18,554 Posts

Funny thing. When I get too busy, I just take a day off. It all seems to work itself out.
I don't see a problem unless you are just working to give yourself a job and not running a nice business.
A nice business has its rewards, a job sucks! ;)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Funny thing. When I get too busy, I just take a day off. It all seems to work itself out.
I don't see a problem unless you are just working to give yourself a job and not running a nice business.
A nice business has its rewards, a job sucks! ;)
Yeah true I just don't like having to tell people I can't make it and all that, and laying around feeling too sick to do anything at home stinks too..

If I want a day off I just keep that day clear in advance. Not showing up, cancelling, and randomly showing up for a couple hours and leaving without doing much are the trademarks of a lot of contractors in my area and not doing those things is one of the things I focus on to set myself apart.

Just showing up on time has sold me more jobs than anything else almost

1 - 20 of 28 Posts