Electrician Talk banner
41 - 60 of 78 Posts
This is not always true, I have turned down bidding some jobs for the simple reason, The hall can not supply the men.
I do not understand your post. The last couple of years if there was even word of work in a said local their hall would start receiving Brothers and Sisters from around the country in search of work unless there was word of an abusive contractor. With unemployment at record highs in construction I would bid your jobs and they will come.

L.U. 551 Santa Rosa, California. 4th year apentice, 12 year electrician. I worked in Seattle non-union for 8 years and joined the union when I moved to California.

Only way this would float is if they PAID you above the scale for apprentices.

You were in the trade 8 years and became an apprentice. I surely would not be BRAGGING on this local and their ignorant use of your time.

That is an INSULT to any decent working man.

1547 Alaska baby!

Live off halibut, salmon, moose, caribou, dall sheep and Alaskan Amber all year!

Love it!

Alaskan Amber is a great beer and I can watch the dall sheep out of the front window here on the mountainside we face here in Eagle River. Looking forward to salmon and halibut fishing this summer...if I have the time!

Are you a JW?

Good for you. In your estimation, what is the most obvious difference between working union...or non?
8 years and the union says it is worth nothing. I’d have to say that union stinks and I’d never do what he did, unless the compensation was made worth while.

I think this is what makes many say unions need to reform.

8 years and the union says it is worth nothing. I’d have to say that union stinks and I’d never do what he did, unless the compensation was made worth while.

I think this is what makes many say unions need to reform.
I understand what you are saying but the bottom line is that a great deal of qualified workers don't have the substantive paperwork to prove that they are what they are. That being the case I just think that it takes a big person to go back to a lower level in order to possibly elevate himself.

I understand what you are saying but the bottom line is that a great deal of qualified workers don't have the substantive paperwork to prove that they are what they are. That being the case I just think that it takes a big person to go back to a lower level in order to possibly elevate himself.
And if the union officials in that local are soooooo stupid they can not interview and figure out qualifications, they might need to go back to carrying tools, because they are in the wrong professions.

And if the union officials in that local are soooooo stupid they can not interview and figure out qualifications, they might need to go back to carrying tools, because they are in the wrong professions.
Again, I am aligned with you on this. However, these days there are so many rules and regulations to satisfy that you have to pick a protocol for hiring and stick with it.

Only way this would float is if they PAID you above the scale for apprentices.

You were in the trade 8 years and became an apprentice. I surely would not be BRAGGING on this local and their ignorant use of your time.

That is an INSULT to any decent working man.

Eh, I did something similar. I was an electrician for 5 years, open shop,(plus a year of school) and "Oed" in to the local back down to 1st year apprentice. Except I was credited hours towards the program and was started at 50% of the rate, which was almost as much as what the majority of open-shop mechanics make in my area. ****, I went from a crummy rental in a crummy part or town, to buying my first house in a middle class neighborhood on apprentice wages.

Was it annoying being bossed around by guys who I felt were my inferior? Sure, but it didn't take long to establish myself. I gained a ton out of the program, basically because I already had a background in the field.

Why did I do it? The pay off. At 6th period apprentice rate, I was making $35 per hour plus benefits for me and my family, and a kick ass pension. That's at last year apprentice scale. That package would be considered the tops around here for the open shop guys, with only a small percentage making that much.

Then when I topped out, I got a $12 per hour pay raise on top of that. So yeah, I didn't let some silly notion of pride get in the way of a really smart decision.

For me, going IBEW was by far the best move I have ever made.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.