Electrician Talk banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts
Only way this would float is if they PAID you above the scale for apprentices.

You were in the trade 8 years and became an apprentice. I surely would not be BRAGGING on this local and their ignorant use of your time.

That is an INSULT to any decent working man.

He may have been paid higher wage. I have know IBEW apprentices come in with experience and start at higher rates.

then your goal should ultimately be to get the non-union contractors customers to open their pocketbooks and to also give the non-union contractors incentive to go union...

however, the ideas put forth by some visitors today, are a big part of the reason that some contractors hesitate/refuse to go union...

you are right- the big part of why contractors wont go union s the pay.

The stereotype of the contractors ripping off customers and trying to maximize his own take home is a truism.

when you are in a commercial situation where parts and specifications leave NO room for marking up- you underpay your craftsmen dont offer them good benefits and they have no real protections to make your nut

I agree oldman,

I've always wanted to see the contractors make money. I'm happy with the crumbs.

Also understand all too well about the customer. Without them we have nothing to talk about.
the issue is when they want to share even smaller crumbs

i'm all for capitalism, but why does it have to be about paying the absolute minimum required to keep your employees while maximizing your own take home?

My Local Lost it's Charter Today!!!!!!!!

The Brothers and Sisters of IBEW LOCAL UNION 380 lost our Charter on Friday, November 28, 2014. We are being merged with the larger, more politically active, (to the tune of $25M in political contributions over the past decade!), Local Union 98 from neighboring Philadelphia.

The rumors of the merger have been running wild for the past 12 months. We were put under the microscope by 3rd District IVP Siegal, and went thru an audit by the IO in May of '14. This all culminated in a hearing in late September, where our BM was called to task over our organizing practices, and lack of market share. Funny thing about that is, our market share is every bit as good as our surrounding suburban locals, in fact better than them nearly all of them, and on par with Local 98's market share in their bordering suburbs.

This entire thing reeks of a power grab. I completely understand the need for constant scrutiny, and improvement of market shares. As well as the need for aggressive organizing. But we were not given ANY oppurtunity to be evaluated, and correct the issues the IO found most in need of fixing. Instead, our Charter will removed from it's place in our Union Hall, our territory divided between powerful Local 98, and 3rd District IVP Siegal's very own home Local, 724. Siegal, BTW, was the instigating, and driving force behind this move, in his own words, written in a letter to our BM last December.

Have any of you lived thru a merger, or the loss of your LU Charter? Please share your expierience. Thanks.

L.U. 380 will live on in our hearts. May our skills, and our pride forever set us apart, and give us all the strength to succeed in our future endevours! Thank You to all the Men and Women who built our home Local, and instilled the traits that make us stand out amongst our peers.

Hey congrats on being accepted into 68. I'm moving to denver and applying there next week. Can you tell me how big there apprentice classes are. Do they have multiple 1st or 2nd year classes. Also I was hoping to find out the names of the companies on the committee that will be interviewing me. How many guys are the interviewing panel?

I used to belong to local 586 in Ottawa. The union treated the
guys worse than the companies did. Bunch of a$$holes. Glad
I left.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.