Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
i agree. seen this a few times. you need to take a voltage reading at panel. BOTH phases to neutral. if one is 100V and the other is 130 or higher.. id guess the utility Xfer dropped its neutral.. not a lot to go on tho from your post.. make sure you measure first point from meter. dont be fooled tho.. may have to load it to see this.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
I encountered the same problem with a temporary pole service. When the compressor clicked on, voltage dropped to around 100. The poco guy gave me a piece of thier drop where the inside of the the hot conductor was completely corroded away.

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

·
Sparks fly from my finger
2,530 Posts
Go as close to the meter socket as you can get and see what the voltage is dropping to when you turn on various devices. Check both legs to ground and across both legs. If the voltage is dropping anywhere close to 5% make the power company come fix it. If they are down a long line and have a small transformer it can cause problems.

I had to do this at a house I used to live at. It was out in the country at the end of a line. My air conditioner started starting hard and the would trip every now and then. I did my voltage and amperage checks and checked all my connections. My voltage was on the high end without much load but dropped over 5% when more load tried to start. I had to have a conversation with the engineer tried saying it was my problem and trying to say more stuff was added that wasn't there. When I told him nothing was added and my voltage drop calculation make it your problem and I am paying for a 100 amp service that isn't any where near full load he said they would upsize the transformer. It was a 10 kva and they put in a 25 kva. No more voltage drop and no more dimming lights when any appliance turned on.

Check everything out on your end and get readings on everything. When you do that they will do what you want. They have regulations they have to follow and voltage drop is one of them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.