Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a basement suite that I'm bidding on at the moment. The ceiling and wall separating the new on-suite from the main house has a 2 hour fire rating - pretty standard. Even so, all lighting that I have installed in 2-hour ceilings in the past have been surface mounted or recessed octagon boxes with surface lighting.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to install lighting (recessed) in the ceiling given the fact the a. it's a firewall b. the contractor wants pot lights.

The project is in Ontario. All the commentary is appreciated. Cheers. FYI I'm a LEC and Master in Ontario.

·
Registered
309a electrician
4 Posts
I was just looking at some fire rated recessed lights at a wholesaler the other day. They are called Razor recessed lights and have a 2 hour fire rating. Be warned they aren’t cheap. I think they told me they were about $47 for one 4”. I didn’t even ask about the 6”

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just looking at some fire rated recessed lights at a wholesaler the other day. They are called Razor recessed lights and have a 2 hour fire rating. Be warned they aren’t cheap. I think they told me they were about $47 for one 4”. I didn’t even ask about the 6”
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I've installed Razor pots before just didn't know that they made fire rated ones! Do you know if the pot lights are able to latch onto 2 layers of 5/8" drywall?

·
Registered
Apprentice
166 Posts
Three ways I’ve have done this type of job. One use the ndr razor pots ( make sure city inspector will allow them) Two contractor makes double 5/8’s boxes were your lights go and he has to fire caulk all seems.. option three mount octagons were every pot light goes and lite line make a slim pot that clips to the octagon box. I also live in Ontario the niagara region. I’ve done many conversion jobs of a single dwelling house. What my last company was doing the most was the double 5/8 boxes around the pot lights.

·
Electrical Contractor
5,565 Posts
Three ways I’ve have done this type of job. One use the ndr razor pots ( make sure city inspector will allow them) Two contractor makes double 5/8’s boxes were your lights go and he has to fire caulk all seems.. option three mount octagons were every pot light goes and lite line make a slim pot that clips to the octagon box. I also live in Ontario the niagara region. I’ve done many conversion jobs of a single dwelling house. What my last company was doing the most was the double 5/8 boxes around the pot lights.
Should fit
Font Line Parallel Rectangle Gas

1 - 7 of 7 Posts