Electrician Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
What is the difference between the Ontario college of Trade diploma and the Red Seal license, especially in the electrical sector.
Having an Ontario of Trade Industrial license, can I communicate my references to Hydro Canada to carry out work on the home electrical panels ?
Regards.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,513 Posts
No, an industrial licence does not allow you to work in commercial or residential.

You need either a 309A construction and maintenance licence, or a 309C Domestic and Rural licence to work on residential electrical panels.

You also need to be an electrical contractor to work in other peoples homes or businesses. To get an electrical contractor licence you would require a masters licence and insurance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, an industrial licence does not allow you to work in commercial or residential.

You need either a 309A construction and maintenance licence, or a 309C Domestic and Rural licence to work on residential electrical panels.

You also need to be an electrical contractor to work in other peoples homes or businesses. To get an electrical contractor licence you would require a masters licence and insurance.
Okay for this reply, now what is the difference between the Ontario college of Trade diploma and the Red Seal license ?

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,513 Posts
Okay for this reply, now what is the difference between the Ontario college of Trade diploma and the Red Seal license ?
There is no difference for compulsory trades now. A long time ago some trades in Ontario were provincial only and were not red seal. Basically if you do not have a red seal, your licence is only good in Ontario where a red seal is recognized in all provinces
Now there is only a red seal option.
When did you get your licence ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no difference for compulsory trades now. A long time ago some trades in Ontario were provincial only and were not red seal. Basically if you do not have a red seal, your licence is only good in Ontario where a red seal is recognized in all provinces
Now there is only a red seal option.
When did you get your licence ?
I got my license 3 years ago from Ontario College of Trade with 8 years experiences in Ontario Canada, And more than 20 years experience back home. Precisely, I've an Electrical Master diploma from back home. Okay, I think I should contact Ontario College of Trade, what to do to obtain the License to work on residential electrical panels. I'm right ?

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,513 Posts
I got my license 3 years ago from Ontario College of Trade with 8 years experiences in Ontario Canada, And more than 20 years experience back home. Precisely, I've an Electrical Master diploma from back home. Okay, I think I should contact Ontario College of Trade, what to do to obtain the License to work on residential electrical panels. I'm right ?
When you put your name in on OCOT’s website you can see your credentials and see if your licence is a red seal or not.

You can contact OCOT and apply to see if they will let you write the 309A or C licence. You need to prove experience working in construction and maintenance or residential to be able to write those licences, not industrial experience.

And like I said, even if you get the 309A or C licence, you need more than just that licence to work on panels, you will also need to get your masters licence, insurance and a contracting licence.

·
Registered
Industrial Mostly, Panels and drives
31 Posts
When you put your name in on OCOT’s website you can see your credentials and see if your licence is a red seal or not.

You can contact OCOT and apply to see if they will let you write the 309A or C licence. You need to prove experience working in construction and maintenance or residential to be able to write those licences, not industrial experience.

And like I said, even if you get the 309A or C licence, you need more than just that licence to work on panels, you will also need to get your masters licence, insurance and a contracting licence.
And it won't be quick, I have my 442, I have tried multiple times to get my 309 but it isn't easy. Every time I called I got a different answer from being able to challenge it to needing 2 years in the construction trade before I can attempt it, with the last year of trades school ect ect. With the current re-organization of the OCT it might even be worse now...

·
Registered
435 Posts
The Red Seal is not a license. It's the Canada-wide recognition of your Electrician qualification.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,513 Posts
The Red Seal is not a license. It's the Canada-wide recognition of your Electrician qualification.
It is a separate exam than the certificate of qualification Exam in some provinces (Alberta for sure and I think Quebec), and in Ontario it used to only be given depending on your mark. Between 60% and 70% got you a provincial C of Q, over 70% got you the red seal. Now in Ontario there is only one exam, 70% minimum pass and you get red seal designation on your C of Q.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is a separate exam than the certificate of qualification Exam in some provinces (Alberta for sure and I think Quebec), and in Ontario it used to only be given depending on your mark. Between 60% and 70% got you a provincial C of Q, over 70% got you the red seal. Now in Ontario there is only one exam, 70% minimum pass and you get red seal designation on your C of Q.
I was under the impression they got rid of the provincial requirements (except Quebec of course) so that the license carried across the country, with non of the previous 60% / 70% nonsense of before. This was supposed to standardize the code under the Canadian wide standards. Who knows what mongrel system exists now. But, as I have only ever been employed in Ontario, and never had anyone question employers in other provinces or countries.

·
Registered
Industrial Maintenance Electrician
17 Posts
And it won't be quick, I have my 442, I have tried multiple times to get my 309 but it isn't easy. Every time I called I got a different answer from being able to challenge it to needing 2 years in the construction trade before I can attempt it, with the last year of trades school ect ect. With the current re-organization of the OCT it might even be worse now...
In all honesty, 2 years in construction I would say would be mandatory to obtain the knowledge for writing the exam unless you've had really good exposure to different aspects of the trade. i would say about 25% of the exam is trade knowledge and something you cant just look up in the code book. If I was a contractor and I hired(or given in a union setting) a 309A electrician that's never been in the field/trenches before, Id be pissed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In all honesty, 2 years in construction I would say would be mandatory to obtain the knowledge for writing the exam unless you've had really good exposure to different aspects of the trade. i would say about 25% of the exam is trade knowledge and something you cant just look up in the code book. If I was a contractor and I hired(or given in a union setting) a 309A electrician that's never been in the field/trenches before, Id be pissed.
The electrical field is far to varied to hire anyone based solely on their license. I went through the Toyota testing with both 309 and 442 electricians. There were two 309 sparkies who couldn't even wire up a motor starter. A simple Start / stop / jog circuit to the right motor with the right name plate. But they could load calc an apartment building. I also wouldn't bring in a commercial guy to help build an industrial line. And those same sparkies who could run wires around VFD's / Motors / Starters and heavy industry, can't legally wire a house properly.

I always got drawn to building and construction. I enjoy seeing the new building go up and getting it working. Probably my favorite part of being in building automation is you really got to see the whole thing through. I like the steady pay and hours of the industrial gig though. I got tired of the lay-offs and the constant throw me to the fire because I could trouble shoot. But that's just why I was trying for the 309. But this is a pretty big deviation of what the OP is looking for. He seems more like an electrician from out of country trying to start his career over here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi there, I'm looking for an Electrician (Brampton and Caledon area - Ontario) who could be approved by Hydro to upgrade my electrical panel to 200 Amps. You know, I have an Electrical Industrial License, that's why they said that I'm not qualified to get that approval. Regards.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,513 Posts
Hi there, I'm looking for an Electrician (Brampton and Caledon area - Ontario) who could be approved by Hydro to upgrade my electrical panel to 200 Amps. You know, I have an Electrical Industrial License, that's why they said that I'm not qualified to get that approval. Regards.
Neither is an electrician.

You need an electrical contractor

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yeah, I have an industrial license. I still got my own permit to do my own house to 200A

1 - 17 of 17 Posts